5 LNB Dish - DC area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

victor20170

Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Herndon, VA
Has anybody gotten a 5 LNB dish installed in the DC area? Did the installer do a good job? Mine is scheduled to be installed tomorrow morning. I am just a little afraid the technician won't be prepare enough to install it. I've read some threads in this and other forums where the customers had to show the installation videos to the techs. Is this a good idea, or should I just leave the tech do his/her job? The DC market is scheduled to roll out MPEG 4 sometime next week, so I am not so sure how well prepared the technicians are.

Thanks,

Victor

I'm sure they're not very well prepared yet. I consider myself lucky to have not gotten a call from D* yet.

Has D* called you yet and how long ago did they call? I'm waiting for my call, but I have a call block feature on my phone that restricts calls from companies that block their information. I hope they don't get blocked.

victor20170 said:
Has anybody gotten a 5 LNB dish installed in the DC area? Did the installer do a good job? Mine is scheduled to be installed tomorrow morning.
Victor
So how did it go?

iceburg said:
So how did it go?

The installer called me in the morning to re-schedule my installation. He was having "issues" with another customer's installation. He's coming tomorrow morning, so hopefully everything will go just fine.

Victor

Update.

My installation didn't go well at all. The installer had never seen the AT9, therefore he didn't know how to install it. I showed him the videos, and I don't think he followed them at all. He had an old meter with him, but he said he couldn't use it to install this new dish, so he just kept on coming back to the living room to check the signal. He spent close to 4 hrs at my house and he still couldn't get all Satellites up. However my HD channels (ESPN, Discover work just fine). I am going to have to re-schedule someone to come back to fix the alignment :( Here are some pictures of my errors.

Attachments

• dtv1.jpg
    dtv1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 395
  • dtv2.jpg
    dtv2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 368
  • dtv3.jpg
    dtv3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Yikes. My DC locals come in okay OTA, so I thought I'd see how other DC installs go. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the fine tuning.

I noticed this morning that the local channels are available in High-definition the Washington DC area beginning this morning.
However Im in no rush for the upgrade until there is a Direct TV HD DVR to replace my HR10-250.

Merry Christmas from swatcat !
http://www.toonedin.com/movies/WhiteTrashXmas.html

Last edited:
victor20170 said:
Update.

My installation didn't go well at all. The installer had never seen the AT9, therefore he didn't know how to install it. I showed him the videos, and I don't think he followed them at all. He had an old meter with him, but he said he couldn't use it to install this new dish, so he just kept on coming back to the living room to check the signal. He spent close to 4 hrs at my house and he still couldn't get all Satellites up. However my HD channels (ESPN, Discover work just fine). I am going to have to re-schedule someone to come back to fix the alignment :( Here are some pictures of my errors.

GUYS!, Heres one of the solutions to the problem many of you are having. During the sat settup screen, it ask you which dish you have, check 5 LNB, Next it will ask if you have sats 72.5 or 95 installed, "Here one solution many are having" if you do not have a 2nd or 3rd dish and receive either of those sats, make "sure" that these say "NOT INSTALLED" and continue. If you select "Installed" but do not have them, you will receive an error and the installation will fail. It also ask if you have a 6/8 multi-switch or 4/4 connection. If you don't have a 6/8 multiswitch nor the above additional sats (72.5 and 95) press and select 4/4 or vice versa if you do have them. Note also that when you complete the settup, your H20 will try to verify your selections, a few sats will still show failed, for example, sat 99 Network 10 & 11 will fail as it has yet to broadcast. Sat 102.8 (103) will also show up twice as Network 14 and 15, Network 14 will pass and the other will fail. You will see an error message after these steps, this is normal, press continue and finish the settup process (including those who have OTA settup). This should help most of you who cannot seem to get the settup complete. Some installer are still having trouble with this process!

victor20170, if you have sat 72.5 check to make sure the installer used multi-swich and connected the 72.5 sat to it.

Last edited:
To echo reply by Smthkd .
The setup errors you got are NORMAL.
If Sat 103 Network 14 is OK then you're in business for D* LIL HD feeds!

Smthkd said:
GUYS!, Heres one of the solutions to the problem many of you are having. During the sat settup screen, it ask you which dish you have, check 5 LNB, Next it will ask if you have sats 72.5 or 95 installed, "Here one solution many are having" if you do not have a 2nd or 3rd dish and receive either of those sats, make "sure" that these say "NOT INSTALLED" and continue. If you select "Installed" but do not have them, you will receive an error and the installation will fail. It also ask if you have a 6/8 multi-switch or 4/4 connection. If you don't have a 6/8 multiswitch nor the above additional sats (72.5 and 95) press and select 4/4 or vice versa if you do have them. Note also that when you complete the settup, your H20 will try to verify your selections, a few sats will still show failed, for example, sat 99 Network 10 & 11 will fail as it has yet to broadcast. Sat 102.8 (103) will also show up twice as Network 14 and 15, Network 14 will pass and the other will fail. You will see an error message after these steps, this is normal, press continue and finish the settup process (including those who have OTA settup). This should help most of you who cannot seem to get the settup complete. Some installer are still having trouble with this process!
victor20170, if you have sat 72.5 check to make sure the installer used multi-swich and connected the 72.5 sat to it.

Thanks for the tip about the 2 Satellites. The installer did choose I had them both even though I only had the AT9 on my roof. I think he did it because it was the only way to bypass the multi switch screen, in my case I do not have a multi switch. I'll go through the installation menu and remove the Satellites. I guess the installer did do a good job after all. I am getting an 86 signal on my H20, which seems to be pretty good if you compare it with what other people are getting.

Victor

P.S. By the way, the Local HD channels in DC have been available since Monday, probably even before that, not sure though since my antenna was installed on Monday.

Last edited:
victor20170 said:
By the way, the Local HD channels in DC have been available since Monday, probably even before that, not sure though since my antenna was installed on Monday.

Victor,

How much did you pay for the install since you got it before it was available? I have called and was told originally $600+ as an upgrade (which I told the rep way wayyyy wrong) and then she said $99 with trade in. What options did they give you?

I called yesterday and will be installed on the 27th (allegedly). They told me it would be $99 for the dish/receiver install and another $99 for my second HD box. When I informed the CSR that I would have to think about it and call her back, she offered me $120 credit. That still leaves me with a $80 fee, so I'll think about giving the retention number a ring to pursue it a bit further. Frankly, I'd be okay with that if I didn't know that they were giving the upgrades away to others at no charge. I guess I'll ask but I won't bitch.

I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone else in the DC area gets installed, please share your experience. cheers

I called again last night and the rep that I spoke to quoted me the $99 price. I purchased my current HD receiver less than 1 year ago and I told the rep that when I bought it, there was no rebate available nor was any credit issued to me. To have to upgrade to get my locals and still have to pay for it was crazy. The rep said he would look at a few offers and ended up waiving the $99 and only charging the s/h charge of $14.95. I have an appt set up for 12/31 in the AM so we'll see what happens. I let them know my current dish is roof mounted and need a longer ladder to get up there. Hopefully the message will be passed on to the installer. I'll keep you posted.

Rick4464 said:
Victor,
How much did you pay for the install since you got it before it was available? I have called and was told originally $600+ as an upgrade (which I told the rep way wayyyy wrong) and then she said $99 with trade in. What options did they give you?

Hello Rick,

I didn't pay a dime. I am a new DirecTV customer. I got my H20 and R15 from Value Electonics (both Free after mail in rebate). The AT9 dish was free, I also got free basic installation and shipping :)

Just called Installation Dept this morning: Got 4 HD receivers replaced/swapped + new Dish installation for $99 fee + 14.xx S&H. Could not get the CSR to give any credit to offset the $99 fee. A installer will call within 72 hr. She said I have to commit to 1 yr programming. The only good thing out of this for me is that I get my slow poe Panny HDS20 receiver replaced. I guess I will have to call Retention Dept later on to remove the $99 fee.

Okay, I know this thread is DC area related, but I too experienced the same problem here in Philly. I got the install on Saturday 12/3 of the 5LNB & H20. What a joke Ironwood is......, the technician went through the entire setup of dish & receiver, but when it came time to search for the satellites, the message read:

"You have selected 5 LNB for your dish and only 4 satellites were detected"
Sat 101 OK
Sat 119 OK
Sat 110 OK
Sat 99 (standard10) Failed!

If you notice satellite 103 is not even listed?????

So I ask the installer about this "failed" satellite and his answer was:

"Oh, that's for future use from D*, they haven't even activated that source".

I did make sure that the 5LNB Dish was selected:

I made sure that the 6x8 multi-switch was selected:

I made sure that the 72.5 & 95 were not selected:

And still it comes up with the error "99 (standard 10) Failed:
And 103 sat is not detected at all. Any solutions before Ironwood/head comes back out again.........thanks:confused: :confused:

He's right about 99. That slot isn't active yet. The sat isn't in the orbital slot yet.

As for 103, go into your signal strength and verify you get a good signal. If you're getting 101/110/119, you should be getting 103.

dervari said:
He's right about 99. That slot isn't active yet. The sat isn't in the orbital slot yet.
As for 103, go into your signal strength and verify you get a good signal. If you're getting 101/110/119, you should be getting 103.

Okay, got 101/110/119......., 103 is a noshow. When I go to detect the signal for 103 it states:
0 at 103 sat........

Also, and this doesn't suprise me, the folks (techs) at D* keep insisting that 99 and 103 are where the local HD channels reside!!!:p :p What a joke this outfit is turning out to be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)