5 LNB Dish Mounting Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Central Maine
I am reading about all these 5 LNB dishes being mounted on roofs. At my last house they installed the dish on my roof, it leaked and caused me some expensive roof repair work. When I moved to my current home I installed the system myself and mounted it anchored on a concrete block wall, on the back of the house.

My question is, can the 5 LNB dish be wall mounted? I haven't seen anyone talk about it being mounted anywhere but on a roof. I will not allow anyone to mount one on my roof, after the last time. My wall mount works fine and has gone through 2 hurricanes without a problem.

The Tate said:
Try a pole mount.

No good, not tall enough to clear the trees behind the house. Plus, it would be accessible to our lawn mower destruction crew. They can manage to destroy anything, you put in the yard.

Also I know you do not want to but if it absolutely has to go on the roof cut a piece of rubber and put under the foot with roof sealant under and on top of the rubber. Also seal around the bolts as they go in.

lou_do said:
I am reading about all these 5 LNB dishes being mounted on roofs. At my last house they installed the dish on my roof, it leaked and caused me some expensive roof repair work. When I moved to my current home I installed the system myself and mounted it anchored on a concrete block wall, on the back of the house.

My question is, can the 5 LNB dish be wall mounted? I haven't seen anyone talk about it being mounted anywhere but on a roof. I will not allow anyone to mount one on my roof, after the last time. My wall mount works fine and has gone through 2 hurricanes without a problem.

Check out Channel 592 (assuming you already have D* service). They've been showing the video on how to install the Ka/Ku (AT9/5LNB) dish.

Mounting on side of house

My friend has his 5LNB dish mounted on the side of his house into the brick using the appropriate bolts..seems very steady.

FWIW... I had my phase3 dish roof mounted for about 3 or 4 years and never had a leak, I had the AT9 installed about a month ago on the roof and no leaks so far. If it is sealed correctly you should not have a problem with a roof mount.

Also I have seen pictures of the AT9 mounted on the side of a house and they used 2 monopoles for support, I think the pictures were in a thread regarding the initial Detroit roll out.

Last edited:
lou_do said:

There is no reason why you can not install it in the same location that the 3 lnb is installed now.

Have mine installed on the side of the house next to my phase III. Only issue is the weight, but a pair of monopole struts adds some support. Live in Florida, and antennas are attached to a concrete block structure with Tapcon concrete fasteners. The Phase III survived Frances, Jeanne, Ivan, Katrina and Wilma without any damage or need for realingment.

pmayo said:
Have mine installed on the side of the house next to my phase III. Only issue is the weight, but a pair of monopole struts adds some support. Live in Florida, and antennas are attached to a concrete block structure with Tapcon concrete fasteners. The Phase III survived Frances, Jeanne, Ivan, Katrina and Wilma without any damage or need for realingment.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will try to put mine on the house where the current 3 LNB one is. I have mine currently anchored with lead anchors, in the concrete.

Not having much luck...

lou_do said:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will try to put mine on the house where the current 3 LNB one is. I have mine currently anchored with lead anchors, in the concrete.
I had my 5 LNB installed in the same location that my 3 LNB was (on the roof -- 2 story home) and have had to call twice now for lost signal.
Everything seemed to be fine, but this past week there have been some nasty rain/wind storms in northeastern Pennsylvania. I had the dish re-aligned on Monday and now need to get it re-aligned again today.
I had my 3LNB for over 2 years and it survived all types of storms. I get the 5LNB and go thru two storms and need to get it re-aligned twice. Not a happy camper...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)