5 LNB install options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpeckinp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
This is what I have to work with. The bucket is full of 40lbs of cement and has another 40lbs in the bag holding it down there are two bungie cords holding it against the railing and the 4x4 add on braces on the top of the railing.

In the 3 years of having this I have not had any problems with wind moving the dish I'm 12 stories up and live in Chicago so I do feel the wind. The reason for the extra 4x4 is to set the dish out far enough to make sure I get a clean shot at the 101, I was able to get 101 fine without it but just a small movement and it was gone so I added it.

Does anybody have any opinions as to what might be a better option for the 5 LNB I am having installed this weekend? I could strap the post to the rail with metal strap but my big problem is bracing the dish with the monopoles if needed.

Attachments

• dscn1438qx7.jpg
    dscn1438qx7.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 256
Do a lot of praying, you will have at least twice the surface area supported by the sme base maybe you will be lucky.

Your rail looks good from the picture if you are allowed to use it for mounting. I was renting a few years back and I cut two pieces of plywood about 12x12 and using the original mounting foot of the dish I sandwiched the rail with a piece of plywood on both sides using long bolts. If you used a larger piece of wood you could attach the braces that may be needed for the larger dish.

Your rail looks good from the picture if you are allowed to use it for mounting. I was renting a few years back and I cut two pieces of plywood about 12x12 and using the original mounting foot of the dish I sandwiched the rail with a piece of plywood on both sides using long bolts. If you used a larger piece of wood you could attach the braces that may be needed for the larger dish.

I think I will brace the post with the metal straps. If I can keep the wind from twisting the post I should be fine.

Does anybody think it is possible to use the monopoles attached to the rail with out the plywood?

I was thinking I could run one from the back down the point where the rail and the wall meet.

I have this same setup works great

jpeckimp,

The monopoles will be tough to attach to that railing. Consider muffler clamps.
Same for the base. Consider, instead of plywood having some 2ft long 2x6s available and some machine bolts or all thread to attach the mast at the base. Do what you gotta to get the mast plumb. You might even think of some 2" pipe and muffler clamps to give you a vertical mast, replacing the provided stuff.

Report back & good luck......should be a great picture because you are five stories closer
to the satellite.

Joe

Hmmmmmmm!

These will work through regular window glass(not tinted). Consider a wood picnic table near a window inside a south facing room. Buy lag bolts.

Joe

I think I will just have the installer install the dish and get it aligned then I will go about bracing it after he leaves. I can do the fine tuning if it is needed myself.

Joe,

I tried the through the window thing when I first got the 3lnb but the window blocked all the signal.

Well final verdict is in and it's a no go. Because of the over hang I am unable to receive the 99 sat. So didn't have the install.
My options now are to stick with D* and hope that the rumors that the work AT&T is doing on my street is U-Verse or switch to Dish. Guess time will tell. Thanks guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts