5 LNB Pole Mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I know it's been discussed a million times...and I did a search...but I want to confirm everything before I do this.

I'm going to mount a 5 LNB dish on a pole. I've done it before with other dishes but nothing this large...so just making sure I've got the right ideas.

From what I've been reading I want to get a 2" OD fence post that's pretty sturdy, not lightweight. I'm planning on getting a 9' long pole and sinking 3' into the ground in concrete (that gets me below the frostline). Then the pole is 6' off the ground, I can later cut it down if desired.

Does the 5 LNB dish mount easily onto the 2" OD pole? Is any additional hardware required to make the dish mount on the pole?

Other than that, it should be similar to a 3 LNB I assume?

Thanks.

I want to get a 2" OD fence post

Thanks.

Don't get caught up in what people label something or tell you what its use is, so leave out asking for "fence post" or anything by a name; you simply want 2" OD Sch40 galv pipe.

2"OD = size

Sch40 = wall thickness/strength (can get stronger, but this is the requested min)

Galvanized Pipe = type or material

You can check there IF they will guarantee the spec of the pipe; you best off looking at plumbing, irrigation supply or the like. These can be bought online as well.

Fencing is exactly that; fencing; and usually thin-walled. Pipe is pipe. Usually only the end posts of fencing products come close to the proper wall thickness spec.

Another avenue for a 2" mount is to seek out a local industrial machine shop. Ask them if they have 2" Outside Diameter Steel Tubing. That's where mine came from, 2" OD tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. I think mine was $30 for 10'.

The AU9 Slimline 5 lnb dish mount requires tubing that is exactly two(2) inches. Two inch pipe is a nominal size. It is actually 2-3/8 inches. That is TOO large and the dish mount will NOT fit.

Two inch actual is usually hard to find and satellite dealers and installers usually SPECIAL ORDER the poles.

A fellow subcontractor of mine developed a "sleeve" adapters that allows using 1-1/4" nominal pipe that has the actual diameter of 1-5/8 inches. Schedule 40 would be strong enough. A thin wall chain link fence post would also be strong enough if internally reinforced.

Here is his eBay listing;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150220543836 end time Mar-05-08 16:52:04 PST)

1.5 inch rigid electrical conduit works very well. It has very thick walls and is 1.9 inches OD. You can use a piece of .035 flashing to make a sleeve which brings the OD to almost a perfect 2 inches. All this is readily available and reasonably priced at Lowes or Depot. It has worked great for me with an old AT9 dish.

The AU9 Slimline 5 lnb dish mount requires tubing that is exactly two(2) inches. Two inch pipe is a nominal size. It is actually 2-3/8 inches. That is TOO large and the dish mount will NOT fit.

Two inch actual is usually hard to find and satellite dealers and installers usually SPECIAL ORDER the poles.

A fellow subcontractor of mine developed a "sleeve" adapters that allows using 1-1/4" nominal pipe that has the actual diameter of 1-5/8 inches. Schedule 40 would be strong enough. A thin wall chain link fence post would also be strong enough if internally reinforced.

Here is his eBay listing;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150220543836 end time Mar-05-08 16:52:04 PST)

And yet I'm able to walk into my local Home Depot / Lowe's / Tru-Value and buy 2" OD pipe off the shelf....

And yet I'm able to walk into my local Home Depot / Lowe's / Tru-Value and buy 2" OD pipe off the shelf....

Yeah, what is called two inch pipe is actually 2-3/8 inches in diameter.

No USE arguing with you, you're always RIGHT!

People fail to realize, that there is an OD and/or ID measurement depending on the application and the seller info. So just saying 2" pipe does no good. People usually get screwed or screw themselves but not actually knowing or calling things what they really are; they introduce some slang or local term to the item that further complicates matters; hell, we have hade a few users on this very board, some that claim to be installers, that think pipe labeled as Sch40 ONLY refers to PVC... What a laugh!

HEE HAW!!!!

You will not be able to go to a hardware store and buy a pole for the mount. Or even a plumbing supply house. Most professions use ID (Inside Diameter) pipe. A 2 inch ID pipe is actually 2 3/8 OD (Outside Diameter)pipe. We had to order all our poles from a cvs systems for the 2 inch OD needed for our superdishes and wildblue installs. You can also use the 2 inch ID with pole adapter. These also come from cvs systems.

I'm actually thinking that adapter linked above looks good. I could do 1 5/8" and fill it with concrete, then put the adapter on. 1 5/8" seems to be a fairly common OD.

You will not be able to go to a hardware store and buy a pole for the mount. Or even a plumbing supply house. Most professions use ID (Inside Diameter) pipe. A 2 inch ID pipe is actually 2 3/8 OD (Outside Diameter)pipe. We had to order all our poles from a cvs systems for the 2 inch OD needed for our superdishes and wildblue installs. You can also use the 2 inch ID with pole adapter. These also come from cvs systems.

Guess mine and all the friends and family one that we bought are pure myth then?

Andrewwski: you really should try not to use the adapter thing; you can search the board and find users that ultimate ended up complaining about it and going with the recommenced pipe after a few months, but in the end its your install and money so whatever you do good luck with it.

Ah...if that's the case, I'll get the right sized pole in the first place. Looks like I probably need to order it online.

My fellow subcontractors and I have been using the adapter for over three years, now. We have an installed based of over 500 units. NOT one had a callback on account of an adapter that has failed. There ARE hack job type of adapters that are not made to close tolerance or made of ABS foamed core plastic sewer pipe, that are not particularly stable. Also, some has use clamp on adapters that have not been designed or intended for this application.

The adapter we use is made to specific precision dimensions and of UL listed and tested ASTM specified material. This material has been tested and has survived in the outdoor environment for over 20 years or more of UV exposure, without becoming brittle or shattering.

NOT ALL ADAPTERS ARE THE SAME.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)