5 lnb's, but only realy 3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Southeast KY
Ok I have a new D* dish. It has 3 "eye's', lnb's. It has room for 2 more. My hr20-700 shows 5 lnb's. All works fine, I'm just wondering why the space on the dish for the 2 lnb's when they are not needed. I hope this makes sense.

I am not real familiar with Direct, I was a E* customer for years. Even installed a bunch of 'em.

Harold
The Center Eye on the five lnb slimeline see's 3 satellites, 99, 101 and 103, the other two see 110 and 119 your dish is fine. If your receiver sees either 103 or 99 (depending on your market) you are fine.

I knew it was ok. All is working. I was just wonder how the set up worked. Thank for the info. I was just wondering.

Harold
The Center Eye on the five lnb slimeline see's 3 satellites, 99, 101 and 103, the other two see 110 and 119 your dish is fine. If your receiver sees either 103 or 99 (depending on your market) you are fine.

Actually, your set up will see 99 and 103 ... as well as the 101, 110 and 119, with the 5 LNB set up.

Jimbo

Any way to use that dish for something else? I found one on the side of the street the other day and wasn't sure what to point it at yet.

I bet there's some sort of integrated switch so I can't get at the raw feeds from each of the LNBs, isn't there?

[sorry, didn't mean to hijack]

Any way to use that dish for something else? I found one on the side of the street the other day and wasn't sure what to point it at yet.

I bet there's some sort of integrated switch so I can't get at the raw feeds from each of the LNBs, isn't there?

[sorry, didn't mean to hijack]

Raw feeds ???
Are you talking about wild feeds ??
If so, you won't get any of them with the D* dish set up, you would need to go to the C-Band section for that type of signal.

Jimbo

no, what i meant was can i get the signal direct from each of the 5 lnbs or is there a switch in the way.

no, what i meant was can i get the signal direct from each of the 5 lnbs or is there a switch in the way.
There are multi-dish setups, but AFAIK, they're DIRECTV only and require an external Zinwell or equivalent multiswitch.

heck, i guess i'll just point it at something and see what i can blindscan, since nobody seems to understand my question.

Pepper are you asking about using the found dish in an FTA or DBS environment?

When you asked about "Raw feeds" the questions were posed to determine HOW or WHAT you were trying to do.

If you are asking about FTA type stuff the likely answer is no; likely depending on the exact dish make & model you found; which I think you posted its a 5LNB variety.

If you are trying to do something in a DBS environment; can you please explain what you mean by "RAW feeds"; as this is a term not normally associated with DBS retrans products.

It almost sounds like he would like to bypass the built-in LNB multiswitch and have a dedicated cable coming from each LNB eye/Sat feed.

It may be possible but it is going to be waaaayyyyy more work than would be worth it. You would have to disassemble the LNB to bypass the multiswitch but your system would probably stop working because the receivers require the multiswitch to select the appropriate sat and transponders based upon what channel you are watching.

I hope this doesn't qualify as hack talk. :confused:

It almost sounds like he would like to bypass the built-in LNB multiswitch and have a dedicated cable coming from each LNB eye/Sat feed.
That's precisely what the OP is asking. Obviously there are five feed horns and four cables so there's going to be some dissection. That being said, only DIRECTV uses two Ka satellites at that spacing and "free scanning" doesn't work with an array of LNBs as the skew has to change with the azimuth.

bingo, i was just asking if there's a way to get at the signal directly from the individual lnbs, (what I was referring to as the "raw feed" from the lnb) - or is there some sort of built-in switch that would get in the way.

It's a nice size dish, just trying to determine if I'd have to replace the LNBF assembly in order to do anything useful with it, like pointing at 97 or 123.

It's also the first thing I've had with Ka capability, I haven't really looked yet to see if there's anything else using that band anyway.

I see now where using the term "raw feeds" could have been confusing, no, I'm not looking for free wrestling.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts