50% Of HDTV Owners Dont Use HD

There is probably more then 50%. I know a lot of people who own HD Ready sets but do not have any HD tuners so they are never displaying HD content on it.

How can people buy HD and not know it?

I find that hard to believe, if they was compelled to spend the extra money then they must have seen HD displayed at the store or friend's house. Also most people have cable or satellite which provides HD content. Maybe they just meant people aren't buying OTA antennas and digital tuners because they're not aware that digital stations exist.

Last edited:
Earth to Consumer .......Lost battle

Big Four only broadcast HD 25% of the time.

Voom is in redundant loops.

HDTNT & HDDIS upverts.

HDTV owner since 2001.

Remember the days when only HBOHD and SHOHD.:D

GregN said:
HDTNT & HDDIS upverts.
HDTV owner since 2001.
Remember the days when only HBOHD and SHOHD.:D

Yep me too. I had an antenna installed and I was happy when 1 of the 3 station played anything in HD. It was a big event when the Olympics were on becuase for the first time there was HD on all 3 stations in Atlanta albeit for 1 hour:)

Last edited:
My brother has a 50 something inch and he watches DVDs on it.

I have talked to him a dozen times about picking up a HD tuner for his cable, but he just won't do it.

jergenf said:
How can people buy HD and not know it?

I find that hard to believe, if they was compelled to spend the extra money then they must have seen HD displayed at the store or friend's house.

FWIW, I'm one of the people who has the means but doesn't watch HD.

I bought a 61" HD-ready TV in Feb 2004 and was looking for an E* 921 at that time. No one in my area had a 921 or had even heard of a 921--I was informing the dealers. It was at about that time that I discovered this site and others and started reading about the 921, which made me decide to wait.

The 942 was announced and I hoped to lease one. No lease has yet been announced for current customers.

Haven't purchased a 942 due to price (including installation of receiver and new/second dish) and all the questions about MPEG4 and other compression systems.

I purchased an Accurian HD receiver from Radio Shack a month or two back (hey, even the remote works on mine ;) ), but I love my DVRs so much, I haven't the patience to bother with live shows. Plus, I only get ABC, Fox and PBS OTA. Signal strength isn't great, but I wasn't impressed--I think more tweaking is required, and as I said, without a DVR, I hardly watch it anyway.

Haven't tried for the lease deal on a 942 from E* (I think I'd be eligible--without knowing exactly what makes one eligible or not :cool: ) due to hesitation on increasing my monthly bill ($10 HD pack, $5 VOOM channels, $5 DVR fee). I guess it's just not a priority for me.

If I watched HD somewhere else, perhaps that would change, but I don't know anyone locally who does have HD. If I do know people with HD, they apparently aren't so pleased they want to tell others. As it is, I'm extremely content with my 721 and 508.

Charise said:
The 942 was announced and I hoped to lease one. No lease has yet been announced for current customers.

Haven't purchased a 942 due to price (including installation of receiver and new/second dish) and all the questions about MPEG4 and other compression systems.

Haven't tried for the lease deal on a 942 from E* (I think I'd be eligible--without knowing exactly what makes one eligible or not :cool: ) due to hesitation on increasing my monthly bill ($10 HD pack, $5 VOOM channels, $5 DVR fee). I guess it's just not a priority for me.
Only band new customer have the lease option for the 942.

The 942 will be replaced by the 962 mpeg4 version (I'm guessing within 6 months) but no official announcement about the 962 have been made. If you get the 942 and later need the 962 I fairly concern that there will be a replacement policy but again no official announcement. Based on the new 411 & 211vip which are mpeg4 replacements for the 811 the replacement policy has been rumored to be anywhere from free to $50. On Dec 15th that will be officially announced.

I got the 921 with 34 inch HD CRT for $1000 last December. The 942 at that time was 9 months late as still no announcement as to when or how much (turned out 4 months later).

The HDPak is $10 but if you pay annually you get 50% credit back which pays for Voom if you want. The $5 DVR is waived if you subscribe to AEP. The $5 dual receiver is waived if you keep a phone line connected.

Except for OTA anyone who buys HD will have to pay extra for more programming and most will agree that once you watch HD you're hooked for life.

jergenf said:
Exactly.

The 942 will be replaced by the 962 mpeg4 version (I'm guessing within 6 months) but no official announcement about the 962 have been made. If you get the 942 and later need the 962 I fairly concern that there will be a replacement policy but again no official announcement. Based on the new 411 & 211vip which are mpeg4 replacements for the 811 the replacement policy has been rumored to be anywhere from free to $50. On Dec 15th that will be officially announced.
So wait some more?? or lease/buy now in hopes of an upgrade path??

The HDPak is $10 but if you pay annually you get 50% credit back which pays for Voom if you want. The $5 DVR is waived if you subscribe to AEP. The $5 dual receiver is waived if you keep a phone line connected.
True, I had forgotten the credit. I'm at 180 and doubt I'll go to AEP. I like movies, but get plenty with Blockbuster rentals.

Except for OTA anyone who buys HD will have to pay extra for more programming and most will agree that once you watch HD you're hooked for life.
I guess I just haven't had the opportunity to watch enough to get hooked (a few minutes of some sailing show several years ago is about it).

I was pretty excited about it before having to wait on a 921 and then seeing how the 921 wasn't exactly a hit with those who did purchase it

Anyway, I was just giving you some insight into all of us misguided souls who have HD-ready TVs but don't watch HD.:)

I would be surprised, and encouraged, if the number with HDTV sets who watch HD is up to 50%. Two years ago it was only 20%. Dealers who ordered lots of HDTV receivers were stuck with most of them.

By far and away the primary use of HDTV sets is to watch DVDs at 480p.

But HD usage is growing and will eventually be a commonplace technology.

BTW, I work in a white collar, high-tech industry and I asked around my workplace as to how many of them owned HDTV sets. I asked 42 people, and counting me, three of us owned HD sets.

I seriously doubt there is 50% of HDTV owners that even use HD. It is probably a fraction of that. I think it might be 20-30% at most.

I have two friends who have have 50+ inch Panasonic HDTV-Ready TVs for over 3 years now, and neither of them will get a HD tuner. Despite all of my prostaltizing they just didn't see it as worth it.

I have a third frien who luckily bought a HDTV with a built in tuner. I was able to get him to put up an antenna. He is quite happy now with his purchase. He could not believe that he could get great a picture with Free OTA.

I am planning on getting a larger unit with HD builtin but have no plans, for awhile at least, to bother on getting HD programming thru Dish. I will watch OTA HD if possible and will wait, years if necessary, to get the programming thru Dish. Too many problems it seems and until the providers get their act together why waste the time or money. When the MLB package becomes totally HD then it will be great, not to many programs worth watching or paying extra for. I want a good picture ith good reception, I don't care if it is SD or HD. Work out all the bug and the situation with the recievers then I will consider it. Anything new which I consider a Beta version is worthless until proven otherwise.

962 from DISH

jergenf said:
I got the 921 with 34 inch HD CRT for $1000 last December. The 942 at that time was 9 months late as still no announcement as to when or how much (turned out 4 months later).
Somehow, I cannot see E* not gouging the customers it already has when the 962 comes out, as they are attempting to do at the current time with the 942.
I have OTA in addition to the 522 & 322 units here, and will switch to D* or cable as soon as one of them really has something to offer.
After reviewing the offerings of the Voom channels, the "HD package", etc. there is only one thing I would really make use of, ESPN-HD and that only part of the year. E* doesn't offer ESPN2-HD, and not ready to hold my breath for Chuckie to decide to add it (took them a while to add ESPNU to their line-up, but they can drop stations all the time easily.) As to stations like DiscoveryHD, how many times can you see a close-up of a bug and appreciate it?
Now that HDTV is finally rolling out to local OTA stations and cable offerings are increasing, am waiting to see what E* & D* do to keep them in the ball-game. With all the add-on fees, they are losing the price-war advantage, so it shall be "interesting."

GregN said:
HDTNT & HDDIS upverts.
HDTV owner since 2001.
Now, now... lets not forget that HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray is coming soon. That will be a pretty big application for all the HDTVs out there.
Hollywood is going to push hard to get the next gen stuff out - they want DVD to go away, since it has a broken encryption scheme.
I think it will be a VERY long time before D* or E* can provide a decent HD lineup. I had the 'HD Package' for 1 year, and hardly ever watched it after the first 3 months. I am lucky enough to live near a major city, so I can get all my locals OTA. Prime time shows/sports in HD is good enough for me right now. Heck, just having CSI in HD makes it all worth it to me :)
-J

How Do I Get Hd On My Hd Campability Tv?

Hi, i have a Sony 55" Master SR5 It says HDTV on the front. What product can i purchase that will allow me to view HD on my LCD unit? thanks. Manny

re

I would be willing to bet that 50% of people with HD ready sets think they are watching HD because the set says Its an HD TV. When the installer came to hook up my 811 he got everything hooked up ok, told me to tune to HD ch and I would be amazed. Well i turned to a HD ch and he says see aint that great... uh thats not HD i told him, the reciever was set to 480p. This guy thought you could get HD with s-video cable. Cmon if the installers dont know crap how can a unschooled consumer
know anything. The average consumer couldnt even program a VCR when they were still hot. I say its more of an ignorance issue than lack of programing.
I have had two or three installers from D..., V... etc and none of them knew next to nothing about HD, heck they could barely get me hooked up. Have a few relatives with the same issue, " hey look at my new HD set aint the HD pic great" uh thats not HD...

If you break it down to individuals within a household that watch HD programming on an HDTV the number gets even smaller. There are five members in my household - me, my wife, and three kids. I am the only one who even occasionally watches anything in HD, and I am only home three days a week now. IMHO I don't think this trend is going to change until virtually all channels are carried in HD and people don't even think about it, like what happened with the transition to color many years ago. After awhile it all just becomes TV. Sure it looks better than it did on the old set, but after awhile you just get used to it and don't remember how big the difference is.

Unscientific survey of HD-Ready TV owners at work show that of the six people with sets capable of HD, I'm the only one that has both OTA and DBS HD. Two people have true HDTVs and watch OTA HD, but aren't sure that DBS HD channels are worth the extra money. The other three use their sets to watch SD cable and DVDs.

So, the 50% survey sounds about right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)