501/508 EPG Problems

JWC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone having 501 lockup when downloading program guides. Problem started a few months ago when VOD was introduced (may be coincidence). Anyway can't get more than 42-45 hours of advanced program guide. 3rd RX swap so it can't be RX. Signal strenght on all three birds near or over 100. Hard resets do not help. Using DPP44...tried different outputs to no avail. Any possibility it could be the switch or LMD?

He says he already replaced the receiver 3 times. The 9 days EEPG is on 119 TP 18. What's your reading for that TP? Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and select 119 as satellite and TP 18.

I have no signal on 119/TP18 and no signal on TP1,3,4,6,9 and 20. All other TP have signal strengths of 100 plus.

I seem to recall the advanced tech support person saying the program guide was on TP 16 and they are as baffled as I am. Since the original 501 (which had other problems) was replaced with a second 501 and now a 508 ALL WITH THE SAME IABILITY to download the program guide. It locks up about two thirds through the process and EITHER goes to the last live channel OR continues to re-cycle through the download sequence.

SO it has to be either a SW issue (I have P363) or a installation issue. I have tried all three of my outputs of the DPP44 and the same thing happens. My 811 has never had a problem. If it is a SW problem, others should have a similar problem and the 501 and 508 share the same SW I have been told. If it is a switch or transponder problem, then I am stumped since all of the many check switch and hard re-boots do not rectify the situation.

Hope someone has a clue. The CSRs don't and neither do I and I consider myself to be technically savy. Thanks for any suggestions

I have a 508, but didn't upgrade to that firmware revision.
Kinda hard for you to un-ring that bell.
But since others aren't reporting the problem, it must be just you. :(

About the only thing you haven't replaced or reset is your switch.
You would need to unplug the AC power to all your satellite receivers and the power inserter (if used) , wait 10 seconds, then repower your collection.
Alternately, unhook all coax cables from your house to your switch.
(the LNB cables can remain connected)
No guarantee it'll fix anything, but it might.

Next, would be to physically move one of the other receivers to the location (and antenna cable) you use for your 508.
(and in another test, move the 508 to the location of your 811 and retest)
Then, check signal levels on the transponder in question.

Last edited:
According to Tony's page and Lyngsat the EEPG is on TP 18. I just checked my 501and 508 and TP18 has a signal of 96. I do have the 9 days guide on both. I have P3.63 on both.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/119list.htm (Look all the way to the end).

I still think that you need TP18 to get the Extended Guide. What about the 811, does it get TP18?

Edit: Mr. Smith can verify if it's indeed on TP 18 or TP16 since he reported it on Lyngsat. Mr. Smith can you do us the favor to check?

Last edited:
Just took it:
bandwidth - 4 Mbps (!)
Code:
Channel 36862
On Table_ID: 0x46 (another mux)
Service Name: [B]EEPG[/B]
Provider Name: EEPG SERVICE
Transport Stream ID: [B]18 (0x0012) 119.0W 12.472 L 20000 5/6 QPSK, DVB-S[/B]

Descriptor: Linkage Descriptor
 Transport Stream ID: 19 (0x0013) 119.0W 12.486 R 20000 3/4 QPSK, DVB-S
 Original Network ID: 4100 (0x1004)
 Service ID: 36861
 Linkage Type: Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) service
Descriptor: User Private Descriptor: 0x93
 8f fe                                            ..              
Descriptor: User Private Descriptor: 0x86
 01 01 00 00 00 fc ff                             .......

Last edited:
Service Name: EEPG
Provider Name: EEPG SERVICE
Transport Stream ID: 18 (0x0012) 119.0W

Thank you sir, really appreciate it. So the CSR was wrong, why that doesn't surprise me.

So the million dollars question is why aren't you getting TP18 on your 501? Do you get it on other receivers? It could be a cable problem, have you tried moving the receiver to another location?

Last edited:
IT WAS THE DPP44 SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

After the suggestions I tried:
1. Power reset of the DPP44-No difference
2. Checked the other three outputs of the DPP44 and only the first output with the power invertor (one that was connected to the 811) had 119/tp18 with a signal. It was interesting to see a difference in transponders that were being received as I moved the 508 around.
3.Although a lot of trouble, the 508 booted up and received the entire EPG beyond the 45hour limit I had been having trouble with earlier.

SO THANKS...but...this leads me to wonder why the diagnostics from the 501s, and the 508 when I did a check switch showed all of the three birds (61,110,119) as active with all polarity.

NOW I have to see if my 811 will work with one of the other three ports of the DPP44...but that is a tomorrow project. Since I no longer have three active receivers (my 6000 has been deactivated), I can get by with a cheaper switch if indeed the DPP44 bit the dust.

Thanks again.

Thanks Smith

You have provided the insight as to why I could not get more than 45 hours of EPG on my 501/508s. For others that might have missed the clue, the EPG is on transponder 19 while the extended EEPG was on transponder 18

Thanks for the info and the long drive to check it out.

IT WAS THE DPP44 SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

After the suggestions I tried:
1. Power reset of the DPP44-No difference
2. Checked the other three outputs of the DPP44 and only the first output with the power invertor (one that was connected to the 811) had 119/tp18 with a signal. It was interesting to see a difference in transponders that were being received as I moved the 508 around.
3.Although a lot of trouble, the 508 booted up and received the entire EPG beyond the 45hour limit I had been having trouble with earlier.

SO THANKS...but...this leads me to wonder why the diagnostics from the 501s, and the 508 when I did a check switch showed all of the three birds (61,110,119) as active with all polarity.

NOW I have to see if my 811 will work with one of the other three ports of the DPP44...but that is a tomorrow project. Since I no longer have three active receivers (my 6000 has been deactivated), I can get by with a cheaper switch if indeed the DPP44 bit the dust.

Thanks again.

What type of cable are you using for that run? My bet is that the 811 won't see TP18 either. Because of the cable or a bad connector or even a barrel connector that goes to where the 501 was.

I don't think the problem is the DPP44 switch but the cable or connector going to that room where the 501 was. Check the connector, sometimes a small braid can touch the center conductor and then you have problems.

You must use RG6 rated to at least 2150 Mhz. If you're using RG59 get rid of it and run RG6. How about barrel connectors? Are there any barrel connectors in place where the 501 was?

I'll be the first to admit that it could be the cable or connectors but the cable is newly installed (one year) and is is all DSS rated RG-6.

I have not yet "re-tried to hook it up where the 811 is located, but at the 811 location, I am receiving (on the 811) all transponders on 119. I also removed the DPP-44 from the equation and connected directly to the D500 DPP Twin and no difference, regardless of which of the two Twin outputs I try...the 811 picks up all transponders and the 508 does not.

I am going to remove the 811 and reconnect the 508 in that cable run. It is a little involved, moving furniture around and the AV setup is obviously different (component vs s-video). I will let all know the results and in a way, if it is a bad connector or cable, I can isolate it further. I kind of doubt it is a bad receiver since it is the third,,,but they may be re-cyling bad units.

Thanks for your thoughts...you may be correct and I will certainly admit it.

Let us know what you find.

I have a refurbished 501 that acts very strange too. When I had it in the master bedroom, every time my wife used the hair dryer it would trigger the breaker. I moved it to another bedroom and the problem stopped. I've had a 211 and a 625 in the same master bedroom and haven't had the breaker problem again.

I also had the same 501 in the living room and I was using diplexers to get my cable internet in the living room. Everytime I tuned in a channel to satellite 110, I would lose the Internet. Started troubleshooting and everytime the receiver was on 110 the SNR in the cable modem will go below 30 so I would lose the Internet connection. SNR was at 35-36 when I tuned a channel on 119 or 148 (at that time). I tried the 625 and the 211 with the diplexers and the SNR on the cable modem is at 40 (which is excellent).

Very weird stuff and I can only think that the 501 is not up to specs after they refurbished the receiver. Everything else works fine.

I have done the following:(after reconnecting the DPP44)
1.. Rechecked 119/TP18 at original 811 location and signal level at 98 and locked. All Transponders are active and except for the spot beams have signal strengths at or near 100.
2. Moved the 811 to where I was having problems with the 508. All transponders are active with good signal levels...conclusion...it is probably not the cable at the site where I was having the most trouble.
3. Connected the 508 at the site where the 811 normally sits and no even transponders after check switch. Conclusion: since the even transponders are on the high end of the band (1650 to 2150) it might indicate a bad cable OR more likely the sensitivity of the 811 is much better than that of the 508
4. Moved the 508 where the 6000 use to sit and same results as in 3 above.

I have noted over the past several days that whenever I did a check switch with my two (now returned 501s and now the 508...all of which are refurbished) that once in a while I would get only the odd transponders. I also noted that even when all transponders were active AND with a reasonably good signal on 119/18 the extended program guide does not load. Everything else works. I also note that TP 1,3, and 9 on 119 go dead on the 508 but I have no way of knowing if this controls the download of the EEPG.

I will re-do my connectors (quad shields are a real pain and this may be a root cause with my type F connectors which are made for quad shield) and finally I will buy a new section of RG6 and connect it directly from my 508 to one of the dual ports of the dish. Regretably, the closest store that has any RG-6 is 60 miles away (Radio Shack) and the only store that has any name brand RG-6 is over 150 miles away (Frys electronics in Houston). I could have gotten a bad batch of RG-6 from Frys and if so, the 1000 feet that I laid out before they put the ceiling and walls on this house will just make me cry a little more.

At least my giga bit network is up and ready for video distribution...too bad there is only dial up here.

Thanks again for the critique. If you have any advice on re-doing the quad shield connectors let me know. And yes I do have barell connectors at all of the plates where I ran all the coax. I hate to think about punching holes through the wall.

I wouldn't redo all the cabling until 100% sure. Just try a small jumper RG6 cable from the switch to the 508 and see if it detects both even and odd tps. That would rule out the receiver. If it does, then you're gonna have to replace some cables. What connectors are you using? Are you using compression connectors?

The barrel connectors need to be rated to at least 2GHz, don't use the ones for CATV. Those are rated to 1 Ghz. And I know someone will come and say that they work fine but if you're troubleshooting you want to make sure you have covered every single component in the setup.

Good luck.

Easy test will show you where is the voltage drop from 508 or by bad cable: measure DC on output of you 508 when you select even transponder - with and without coax cable ( how ? I would open a cover for few minutes ) - must be no less 17 VDC. Then try to measure the DC at switch input ( I would open it, but up to you ).

Thanks again Randall and Smith for suggestions. I will put off opening the RX for a few days until I get some new RG6. It is just a short run (less than 25ft) from where the RX is located out the window to the switch and dish. This should eliminate the cable issue. I was unaware that some barell connectors would not be certified (e.g. attenuate the higher frequencies). They are just the cheap bulk packed barell connectors. On the F connectors, I have both the crimp and the screw on type, but mostly crimp on types that were made for quad shield RG6 (they have a larger outer ring). When I get to the store in a few days I will look for some different style connectors.

This morning something strange happened. I did a check switch and got all satelittes and all transponders OK, went to 119/18 and a solid green 100+ and after about 30 seconds, it went red. Re did the check switch and again all satellites and all transponders indicated but many of the 110 transponders did not show a signal. Could not pick up TWC at 214 yet that transponder showed a 100+signal. IT could be the logic in the 508 talking to the DPP44. Again when I go straight to the switch or the dish in a few days, I will eliminate many of the variables.

Stand by.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)