501 disk runs all the time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fv3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Did a recent firmware update cause the 501 disk to run constantly, even when the receiver is off?

Go to: 6, 1, 9 (Inactivity Power Off). Make sure is set to enable and save. I have a 501 with the latest firmware 3.01 and my hard drive shuts off when I turn the receiver off. Hope that helps.

I looked at that, and it was already set to "enable".

This seemed to start about the time P301 rolled out (mid-June or so).

I just got off the phone with Dish Network. The first guy hung up on me while "transferring" me to someone else. The second gal seemed nice but ultimately had to ask her supervisor about it, who apparently told her that the constant running of the disk is "normal".

I have had this box since 2002, and I do not remeber the disk ever running all the time.

I've also have had this problem recently. It seems to run forever and I wake up in the middle of the night and its running and wake up and its still running.

I end up just unplugging it.

Paul

Sounds like a firmware bug to me. I wish it were not next to impossible to talk to someone who actually is allowed to be helpful at Dish.

Mine still spins down when it has been off for about 10 minutes.

It spins up at midnight every night to download the new program guide.

I read somewhere that they have put an auto-reboot feature into the software so it does a soft reboot every night.

isnt it better on the hard drive over time for it to just stay on. Atleast that's what they tought me in school. I mean are they loud cause i dont hear mine, unless i put my ear to the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts