501 DVR sees only 2 satellites

Big_Ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Athol, MA
Hi all,

This may be a very stupid question, but I'm trying to learn. I have a dish 500 with 2 LNBs and a Dish 300 with 1. There are one or more switches present but no idea what this/these are. I have 3 receivers: 6000, 501 DVR, and a 301.

The 6000 and the 301 get signal from 61.5, 110 & 119. The 501 does not "see" 61.5, just 110 and 119. I've run a check switch, and I've reset the box, but no change.

Why do you suppose this is?

Thanks, Ed

What equipment does the check switch show for the 501? the same question for the 6000 and 301. Just trying to find out what switches and LNBs you have?

Ok, that's your problem. The 301 and 6000 receivers are using a SW-21 to combine the 3 satellites. The 501 is running directly from the Quad and you will only get 119 and 110.

You will need a SW64 to combine the 3 satellites and get 4 outputs.

Thanks Randall! I knew I could get the answer here. One more question...

I have ordered a 622 that will replace BOTH the 501 and 6000 (I have both installed on my main TV, one for SD viewing and DVR, the other for HD). When it finally arrives, will the 622 need two sets of input to feed the dual tuners, or can I just hook it up to the one input that's coming from my existing switch and be good to go?

Thanks again!

Big_Ed said:
Thanks Randall! I knew I could get the answer here. One more question...

I have ordered a 622 that will replace BOTH the 501 and 6000 (I have both installed on my main TV, one for SD viewing and DVR, the other for HD). When it finally arrives, will the 622 need two sets of input to feed the dual tuners, or can I just hook it up to the one input that's coming from my existing switch and be good to go?

Thanks again!

your most likely going to need the installer to upgrade you to DPP... if you don't use a dpp LNBF then two lines will need to be ran as it wont work with only one.. If you hooked it up to your existing switch you wont be good to go as you wont get past the initial check switch as it needs both feeds to be identical to both tuners.. Dish Pro Plus with a DP separator would be the best way to go :)

Your LNBs and switches are Legacy equipment. I'm pretty sure that they will replace it with Dish Pro equipment and install a DP34 or DPP44 switch when they bring the 622. With the DPP44 you can have one single run to the 622 with a separator, so push for a DPP44 if you can. Upgrading your LNBs and switches to DP should be done for the new 622 receiver coming.

OK. Do I need to contact Dish now to request this, or should I just take it up with the installer when he contacts me to confirm our appointment?

ttt for one last question...do you guys think that I should call dish to request upgraded switch / lnb or just speak to the installer when he calls?

Since you will only have 2 reciever total then you will not need any external switches. Only a DPPlus twn and a DP duel connected to the DPP. Always call to confurm but since the tech will have to go to the dish he will most likey take the easy way and replace the LNBs. He should have the parts with him as they are usualy needed for any install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts