501 Hard Drive Life

marathon_1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Orange County, CA
I have two 501s that I got when they were first released to the public.

Does anybody know the year they were released?

Second question anybody have an idea of the average life of the 501 HDD, as I have had no problems with both of my units but I am considering dropping the DHPP warranty as the 4.00 increase per month is ridiculous.

I have two 501s that I got when they were first released to the public.

Does anybody know the year they were released?

Second question anybody have an idea of the average life of the 501 HDD, as I have had no problems with both of my units but I am considering dropping the DHPP warranty as the 4.00 increase per month is ridiculous.

Just drop the warranty, if something happens to one of your 501s you can sign up for DHPP and drop it again after it's replaced. I was content to pay my $1.99 a month and not play games, but Dish had to be greedy so f*ck em.

NightRyder

The 501 hard disk will shut down and spin up with use. It does not stay on all the time, so it's hard to predict how many hours or cycles are on it. It's certainly closer to failure than it was when new. It could fail tomorrow- or never.

I pay 'em their fee, for my 508, 721, ViP622, etc. I've lost too many 721s not to.

Mine now has more than five years on it and still going strong, I guess it could die any day but I think I got my moneys worth!

I just dropped an extra receiver, superstations, and their warranty after trying to triple the price on me a few days ago which will save me over $18 per month after taxes. AT250 with locals still runs me over $80 per month even after paying annually under the old price because of two extra DVR's on the account. Rediculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts