501 Programming Guide Not Updating

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I have a 501 which I've had 2 1/3 - 3 years and everything has been working fine with it until last night. I missed the Charlie Chat (don't go there) so I figured I schedule to record it when it comes on again. When I went to do a seach, it said the guide was out of date and needed to be updated (yes I turn it off at night) so I allowed it to do it. Download started, but just ran, and ran, and ran. Finally the picture came back. When I tried to do a search again, the same thing happened. When I pull up the program guide, I get the same update notice.

I checked my software version and it is at P300. Last time I checked, I think it was at P285. I've reset (pulled the card and reinserted it) the box and the download start then after awhile, the picture appears but when you bring up the guide, no data. Same thing happens if I turn the 501 off and unplug it for a minite or two.

Is anyone else having problems with their progran guide not updating on their 501's?

1st I've heard on that one. I've never had that problem with my 501.

Sounds like you might have to make the dreaded call to Dish Tech Support since you have already pulled the plug.

501 Program Guide Not Updating

I was hoping I wouldn't have to make that call. I'll bet you they try to sell me a maintenance plan or a new receiver.

Everything else seems to work, but I don't know if the PVR function works yet because I can schedule anything and the next event trigger isn't until Wednesday.

You don't happen to be in the Denver area do you? My system (a 522 and 322) went bozo with our recent snowstorm. I went out back fixed the problem by whacking the dish a few times with a toilet plunger to shake he snow off. (Seemed like an appropriate tool for the job.)

My only problem with my 501 is that it's awfully loud.The hard drive is constantly going nuts. My 501 is only about a month old (refurb)

Finally got around to checking 110 and I get no signal. I checked all three of my receivers and it's the same thing. I guess i'll have to check the dish and LNB's tomorrow after work.

Guess it's time to move my dish. A tree I planted a couple of years ago is starting to block my dish. I trimmed off a couple of small branch's and my 110 signal is now at 85-90 and my 119 is at 110-125.

hemway said:
Guess it's time to move my dish. A tree I planted a couple of years ago is starting to block my dish. I trimmed off a couple of small branch's and my 110 signal is now at 85-90 and my 119 is at 110-125.
I usually (re)move the tree (I live in the woods so I have to get out the chainsaw and machete to secure my LOS every once in a while :cool: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts