501 Receiver died - need to accept new 2yr commitment?

huffdaddyz400

Apr 25, 2007
My 501 DVR died a few days ago. It will not power up. I called the DISH CR and they are telling me that they will replace the 501 with a VIP612 but I need to accept a new 2yr commitment? HUH? They said they are upgrading everyone to MPEG4 and they are only sending out newer receivers and since it is an "upgrade" I need to have a new agreement?

Is this new or something? I have been with DISH for 10+yrs and they are maing me accept a new commentment agreement.

Isn't the 501 one of the old PVR's? I didn't know they leased them. I paid for mine so it belongs to me but will eventually have to retire it and would hope that I could upgrade for a vip something when I go HD in the bedrooms.

Dish does not want to put out anymore money unless they get it from you with monthly fees and money upfront or another commitment so that they can get a return on their investment with you. I do not blame them. On the other hand, many people will consider switching providers if they have to commit to anything because they can get a new customer promotional deal that way.

Why not..

buy a VIP211K for $179 and put an external harddrive on it like I did. I replaced my 501 with this setup a couple days ago and it works like a charm. You need to get rid of the Mpeg2 receiver anyway as you maybe missing out on a lot of channels that are Mpeg4 anyway.
Time to throw out the old ;).
If you really feel you absolutely need a 501, I have the one I removed which works great. I had purchased it years ago.
Gerry

Look on E-bay for a 501 or 508 receiver. They both have no DVR fees and you can just delete your old receiver from you account and add a new one and pay month to month no commitment. That is iff you own the 501 that just broke. If you leased it your stuck with them for the next 2 years and if you opt out early they will charge you to an early cancellation. I Just bough my self a new 722 to replace a 942 that is going to be obsolite the first part of 2009. won my equipment so I just pay month to month. They hate that! But it's your right to do what you want to do. I'm sure if you have been a customer for 10 years you will keep them as your provider for years to come if they don't rub you the wrong was by locking you up for 24 months!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)