501 vs. 508 and ? about monthly fee...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JKeats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
i'm a dvr newbie and am wanting to jump in the ring... i think that the only difference between the 501 and the 508 is the HD size. is this correct?

also... on either the 501 or the 508, there's no monthly fee right?

lastly... is the guide on the 501 and 508 the same as on my 301 (i.e. has the picture in picture thing so i can continue to watch what i'm watching while i see what's on other channels)?

thanks for the info gents.

All the answers are "YES". The only difference between 501 and 508 is the HD. No monthly fees on neither one and you can continue to watch your program in the top left corner of your screen while looking at the guide.

I just got my 501 last week and I like it. First time I try a DVR receiver and it really changes the way you watch TV. I kept reading about it but couldn't believe it.

sweet. u mind if i ask where you got yours? dish doesn't seem to be terribly kind to their existing customers with respect to equipment upgrades... and since i currently own my equipment i'm not too keen on starting up a lease or a new contract.

was thinking of just ebaying it.

I got mine at eBay. It's a refurbished unit but it works just fine, hard drive is a little noisy but it's inside an TV armoire so I can't hear it while watching TV. Dishstore.net had the 508 for $179.00 shipped.

so if i own my current units (not leased) and i buy a unit from ebay (or someone) i can just pop my yellow card in it an go right? or is there something i have to do through dish (like calling to activate the unit or something)?

You can't just pop your yellow card in the new receiver. The cards are married to the receivers. If you buy a new receiver, you will need to call Dish to activate the new receiver and add it to your account.

Be sure if you buy a used receiver to get the receiver and smart card numbers before you buy (the R00... and S00... numbers). Call E* and verify that the receiver balance is $0 and that they'll let you activate the it if you buy it.

I got my 508 off of Ebay too, it's been a great unit.

Like someone else said, make sure to get the numbers of the card and receiver, and call Dish before placing a bid.
If the CSR doesn't want to tell you if there is a balance or not, just call back and get another one. Sometime they try and act like they can't look that info up. It's a pain, but it beats buying a reciever that has a $600 pay per view charge on it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts