501 with balance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redbeerd

Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Somewhere in Ohio
I have a 501 DVR I got from a friend and he said it had no balance on it, well, it does. I checked around on the fourms and from the sounds of it there is not much I can do but pay the balance or use it for a door stop. Has anyone found away around having to pay the balance? Or should I just use it to hold up the corner of the desk?

There was an amnesty program for the retailers but it ran out not long ago although it let me run another one through past that time. They told me they could not clear the receiver but then I get an email stating that they cleared it.

The balance is $80, and it is not worth it to me to spend that kind of money. Maybe I will yank the drive out and just format it for use in the computer and just junk the rest. I hate to do that to a more or less working peice of hardware.

redbeerd said:
The balance is $80, and it is not worth it to me to spend that kind of money. Maybe I will yank the drive out and just format it for use in the computer and just junk the rest. I hate to do that to a more or less working peice of hardware.
Well at $5.98/Mo. for DISH's DVR fee it would take 13 months for you to come out ahead. If it lasts longer than that you are saving money, a 40 gig hard drive probably isn't worth installing in a computer today.:)

I have a 510 right now and love it. I wanted this one for the kids, I get tired of deleting kids shows off the dvr. I have a standard receiver (I dont remeber the model number) that they use most of the time. It is also the one I use when I take the motorhome out. My plan was to keep the standard on my bill and just use it in the motorhome instead of moving it back and forth. I guess I will have to talk the wife out of the $80 sometime.

dfergie said:
Nor the 508... I have a deactivated 501 I refuse to part with :)
I love my backup 508 :) :) Make me feel good not to have a dvr fee.. Along with a 721 :)

Some of these 508's were going for pretty good money on ebay and on here. I am not sure if they still are but once they get Name Based Recording I am sure that the demand will increase and the value would go up even more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts