50ft tower install.. 5-LNB options??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nbadger23

Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hello,
We've had to go with a 50 ft tower to get a LOS for Directv. We currently have the 3-LNB dish with 2 HD receivers and one non-HD receiver .. these are obviously all not in use now.

We originally had the free mover's install/upgrade to 5 lnb setup in June. The installer couldn't get a LOS so that cancelled that. I have now called DirectTV back to see if I can get the 5lnb installed on the 50 ft tower. The person doing the tower install said they would do it but they'd have to charge me for the satellite. Directv contacted the installer who would do the mover's install and they said no to the tower install. Directv will also not ship me the satellite.

So.. at this point I am basically in a position where I either buy the 5lnb dish or I go with the 3 lnb dish and an off air antenna.

Here are some facts on our HD capabilities. Our market (Rochester, MN) does not currently have HD locals available. I would assume they are coming within a year but do not know. Our current antenna does pickup the Twin Cities, Rochester, La Crosse, Eau Claire, and Iowa... albeit sometimes not great signal strength.

I am curious if it's a better idea to stay with the 3 LNB and then put a new antenna on the tower to pull in HD locals. My concern is are there other capabilities that the 5 lnb gives me (besides the locals in HD) that I will be missing out on by not having it??? If it only gives me locals in HD I might as well stick with the antenna because I get a lot more variety of stations with that.

Thanks.

Here is what I would do. Buy the 5 LNB dish, put up a great OTA antenna and install yourself. Make sure to run a separate line for OTA down to the house. If on tower, might as well go rotating big antenna as well. Check out antennaweb.org. You want that 5 LNB dish if you want HD. Even though Directv is doing primary HD channels, I find its a better option to get OTA locals for the sub channels and/or waiting for them to have my local market.

If you can get someone to install it, go ahead and do that. Possibly you can talk Directv into giving you some credits in lieu of having their installer's free installation. Starting in September, there will be a lot more national HD available than the 3 LNB dish will supply. Since you don't know when your HD locals will be available, put a big rotating OTA antenna at the top of the tower, as Brewer4 suggests.

50 foot tower, flat lands, large rotating antenna, multiple markets, can you imagine what he will pick up? I am drooling just thinking about this scenario. Get the biggest and best Channel Master UHF/VHF antenna you can find with pre-amp and rotator. Make sure to ground it. Man, I wanna see this if you do it. :D

"Starting in September, there will be a lot more national HD available than the 3 LNB dish will supply."

Bob - are you referring to HD channels that will NOT be local. .i.e. USA, TBS, FX.. etc?

Brewer--- we are in the thick of the woods with the LOS for the satellite aiming directly into a large hill with many tall trees.. i.e the need for a 50 foot tower. I am amazed at the channels we pickup now with an antenna on the roof. The poor thing looks like it's been through a war with a few broken spokes (right word?) and such.

I'm trying to balance the price with the need at this point. If we're going to need the 5 lnb for non-local HD programming in the near future I might as well get it done now. If we're not.. I might as well stick with my 3 lnb and OTA.

It sounds like the recommendations are to go with the 5LNB now....

50 foot tower, flat lands, large rotating antenna, multiple markets, can you imagine what he will pick up? I am drooling just thinking about this scenario. Get the biggest and best Channel Master UHF/VHF antenna you can find with pre-amp and rotator. Make sure to ground it. Man, I wanna see this if you do it. :D

Me too. Please post pics when this is done, cuz I gotta see em.

"Starting in September, there will be a lot more national HD available than the 3 LNB dish will supply."

Bob - are you referring to HD channels that will NOT be local. .i.e. USA, TBS, FX.. etc?

Brewer--- we are in the thick of the woods with the LOS for the satellite aiming directly into a large hill with many tall trees.. i.e the need for a 50 foot tower. I am amazed at the channels we pickup now with an antenna on the roof. The poor thing looks like it's been through a war with a few broken spokes (right word?) and such.

I'm trying to balance the price with the need at this point. If we're going to need the 5 lnb for non-local HD programming in the near future I might as well get it done now. If we're not.. I might as well stick with my 3 lnb and OTA.

It sounds like the recommendations are to go with the 5LNB now....

Yes, I said national, not local. Also, RSNs will be national instead of spotbeamed like they are now. Go for the Slimline.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)