510 and 301 to same TV

Autoeng

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Just got my 510 DVR and love it but wish I could have gotten the 522 so I could watch live and record another channel at the same time but until January I guess I'm out of luck. Oh well.

I do have an activated 301 though that I would like to hook up to the same TV to try and accomplish it. Is it possible to hook up a 510 and a 301 to the same TV and record one channel on the 510 but watch another on the 301?

I'm not experienced with switches so I don't know where to begin. I searched but couldn't find anything so I have no idea where to begin. Feel free to link to an appropriate thread if available.

All of my electronics are run thru an A/V receiver which has both TV and monitor inputs and theorize that that is how I'll have to hook up the receivers but from there I'm lost.

Thanks for your help,
Autoeng

The rf output of the 510 can go to the antenna in of the 301. If the 301 is off, then the 510 signal will come through. if you want to place the 510 elsewhere, you can diplex it's rf in and out of the satellite feed to the 301. You probably wont do that since you want to use your receiver for the audio.

Thanks!

Ok I understand that I can run the 510 into the back of the 301 but what would happen if both units were on at the same time?

For example I have 510 on recording one channel and 301 on recording another. From the back of each receiver I would run RCA's to each A/V receiver monitor jacks (510 to monitor 1, 301 to monitor 2). I would change the A/V setting to display the 301's input out monitor 2. Would I still get separate channels on both units therefore recording a live show (on the 510) and watching another live show (on the 301)?

Again, thank you for helping me out!
Autoeng

IF you have two cables going to your satellite dish(es), one for each receiver, then you can watch two different live channels at the same time.

I've got a 510 and 301 both running all the time. I have the 301 as Input 1 on the TV, the 510 as Input 3, all connected by RCAs. (Input 2 is the front input for games & stuff.)

Yes, I have often watched a live show on Input 1 while the 510 was quietly recording a different channel on Input 3. As I become more and more used to fast-forwarding commercials, I'm more likely to be watching a recorded show on Input 3 while the 510 records something live.

Absolutely cool. I did have 2 301's, each with a separate lead from the dish. Just have to re-route some cable to bring it to the same location.

If you are connecting each receiver up to the different inputs of the tv and the tv has a PIP functionality. Lets say that you have receiver A as the one connected into the television and receiver B that is connected into receiver A's antenna input. Receiver A would override receiver B. You could watch receiver B in one of four ways. One is to turn receiver A off and then you would be watching receiver B. Another way is to press the tv/video button on receiver A to view receiver B. The third and fourth way would only work if you connect the A/V wires to your receiver (the yellow, white, and red wires). If you have PIP functionality then you could choose the input that receiver B is on to watch it or turn to that input through the tv for the main screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts