510 and 811 in combination?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bchumph

Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
I currently have a Dish 500 system with 4 receivers (1-501 PVR, 3-301's) providing signals for 4 separate tvs. I really don't want to spend the money to buy a HDTV DVR and would like get your thoughts on the following:

If I take advantage of the free upgrade offer and swap 2 of my 301 receivers and get a 510 dvr and a 811 HDTV

then:
connect my current 501 Pvr on one tv
connect my remaining 301 on one tv

hook up the 811 HDTV receiver via the dvi connector to my 51" Hitachi HDTV monitor

hook up the 510 dvr via the RCA jacks to my 51" Hitachi HDTV monitor

and then run the 510 dvr signal via the 75 ohm coax connector to a second tv in the master bedroom

I realize I would have to take the 510 remote to the master bedroom each time I wanted to use it there, but I only watch tv in the bedroom when no one is watching the big screen.

1. Do you see any issues in this hook-up?
a. How far can I expect the 510 dvr UHF remote to work?
b. Is it feasible that it will work properly thru a bedroom door that is closed to the other end of the house (approximately 60 feet)?
c. Are there any remote extenders on the market that would improve the 510 signal to the receiver from the master bedroom?

3. What options do I have to combine the signals on any of the cable runs?

4. Someone suggested I could purchase another basic receiver to connect to one of the tvs and put my current 501 in the master bedroom. If I did purchase another receiver............how would I connect it since my system only has 4 cables coming into the house?

I really appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thank You,
Brad

You can also just buy another remote ($30 or so I think). If the UHF does not reach you can get a cheap TV amplifier and hook it up to the antenna.

I feed my 811 and 921 through the house using RF modulators. This way if I am watching a show on the 921 and decide to go to bed, I can press pause, switch to standard definition, turn off that TV, go to bed and turn it on in there and continue watching.

http://www.dishstore.net/index.php?cPath=26

Welcome aboard, Brad!

You're asking a lot of questions that have been answered very recently here in the various forums.

The Search button is your friend. :rolleyes:

Now having said that, some of the other guys can come-on-down and help you out. :)

Note to self: Add basic FAQ page to my configuration setup program.

1. I would use s-video to the tv, and by my count you'll need more then 4 runs your current switch provides.
2. the UHF will go through walls and such very well up to 100ft. from personal experience.
3&4 that info is best gotten from those more intelligent then I :D

3) what signals are you talking about combining? You can use two diplexers (NOT rf splitters) to combine your rf with your satellite onto a single cable and then split it back out again.

4) You don't say much about your setup other than you have a dish 500 and 4 receivers. I'll have to assume you don't have any switches, just a quad lnbf on the 500 with 4 cables coming off it directly to 4 receivers. if the lnbf on your 500 is dishpro, not legacy then you could get a dp34 switch. Unhook two of the lines from the receivers and put them on the dp34. Hook up to four receivers/tuners to the dp34.

If your lnbf is NOT dishpro, then believe it or not I think the cheapest solution is to get a second dish. If you don't want to do that (most don't) then I'd get a dishpro quad and do the above.

See the diagrams on the other board at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=30114

Most likely you want the last page, 16, right side, "Multiple receiver dishpro installations", second diagram which says "up to 14 tuners". Ignore the dish300 and the two extra dp34s

Query for Q3: What kind of signals are you talking about?

Answer 4: You'll need at least a switch, and maybe other stuff depending on what you currently have. "Dish 500" is a piece of sheet steel. It's what's mounted on it that matters.

Will this work?

Thanks so much to everyone that has provided guidance.

I think I can provide a clearer picture of what equipment I have now and would like to confirm that this will work.

I have a DishPro Quad that based on your replies, I could do this:

1. Take advantage of swapping two of my current 301 receivers for the 811 and 510 upgrade offer.
2. Purchase a 301 receiver (will Dish Network work a deal with me on one that I have and would send in for exchange?)
3. Purchase a DP34 switch.
4. Use 2 301s, one in each of my two boy's bedrooms using 2 cables off the DishPro Quad.
5. Use the other two cables from the DishPro Quad to feed the DP34 and then run three cables from the DP34---one to the new 510 and the other to the new 811 on the Hitachi 51" in my family room and one to the MBR to my current 501.
6. Use the DVI Connections on the 811 to the Hitachi.
7. What connection would provide the best signal from the 510 to my Hitachi....S video or the RCA jacks??

Am I on the right track here??
Thank You,
Brad

Yeah - the E* hookups in 3, 4 & 5 will work fine, and it leaves you a spare feed if you were to end up with a 721 or 921 instead of the 510 or 811. Plus, using the DP34 for the "big" stuff gives you an easy add-on of 61.5 or 148 for CBS-HD (and maybe other networks - it's only logical that the other 3 would end up next to CBS, but with E*, who knows?).

As for hooking up the 510, S-Video should give slightly better results - but try both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)