510 and RCA DVD Recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sullivbt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Searched this forum and found many threads re: Dish DVRs and standalone DVD recorders, but didn't see a single post that one that reflects my current problem with mono audio out of a 510 to a DVD recorder. Here it is:

I hooked up an RCA DCR8060N DVD recorder to my 510 to archive some old recordings. Following the diagram in the RCA manual, I connected BOTH the "RF Out" AND the composite jacks from the 510 to the DVD recorder (NOTE: the RCA manual seems to imply that the RF feed is needed to get "program" data and the composite feed actually sends the video and the audio). The DVD recorder records fine AND shows what is on the TV in its "Watch Live TV" menu option, the issue that I see is that the recordings themselves seem to be in mono (when watching "live TV" through the DVD recorder [i.e. monitoring the content on the hard drive that I am sending to the recorder to be recorded ] the information box on the recorder GUI says the audio is mono).

So, questions:

1) Do I need both the RF and the composite hookups? (I think that if I remove the RF feed then I will lose the ability to "watch live TV" through the DVD recorder).

2) Does the 510 actually output stereo audio through the RF jack? (the thought occured to me that maybe the DVD recorder "prioritizes" the RF feed over the composite input and then uses mono audio form the RF feed, if indeed the RF is mono).

3) Does the 510 "blank out" the other jacks (i.e. S-video, composite) if the RF feed is being used?

3) Similar to other posters, my recorder has a setup option that asks you to pick one of three choices to scan for TV channels (Auto, Antenna Only, Cable and Antenna). The RCA manual specifically states that you must pick the "Antenna Only" option if you're hooked up to a sat STB - does anybody have any experience with attemtping to use a DVD recorder WITHOUT any "live TV channel" enabled?

Thanks guys!!

Not familiar with your dvd recorder, so will answer according to my experience.

1) No, you will get better recording from composites and do not worry about info as I can rename anything I record. My rf is used to record analog direct without need for vcr (but tuner is not as good.)

2) I should, depends on what actual channel is outputing, my recorder asks for priority as far as input, and have to scroll through inputs to the desired connection.

3) No. All outputs are always active.

3 (assume 4) ) Again mine allows you to select input, dvd tuner isn't that good so I deleted after 2 days. I get 'Live' no matter which tuner I use.

garys;

Thanks for the quick response. Your reply just raised another question; can I actually just hook up an OTA antenna directly to the DVD recorder and record OTA TV? It didn't even occur to me that my recorder might have a TV tuner in it - I guess I jsut assumed that I had to use the NTSC tuner built into my TV.

Both of my DVD recorders/80Gb Hard drives have an antenna input for OTA reception.

It is mono out of the RF output. If I use the a/v cords its stereo.

Same with the inputs. I have my Dish 811 and StarChoice box into the inputs and the OTA antenna all into the unit. Stereo across the board (I use the A/V outs to my TV)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)