52.0 Remote Question

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
I just got my Hopper 3 installed this afternoon. Is there any way to put the 52.0 remote in IR mode? I need to get my Harmony remote to learn some new commands that are not in the database.

Not sure, but I also have a question on it also. Will it work on my Hopper 2, Super Joey and Wireless Joeys.

I just got my Hopper 3 installed this afternoon. Is there any way to put the 52.0 remote in IR mode? I need to get my Harmony remote to learn some new commands that are not in the database.
All the Harmony codes for Hoppers are the same. You should be able to program the Harmony with the Harmony software for everything you need.

No you can't make it an IR remote. What commands are you having issues with?

Under settings/remote control there is an on/off toggle called "Infrared Reception" - I'm not sure if that works for this remote or not.

Under settings/remote control there is an on/off toggle called "Infrared Reception" - I'm not sure if that works for this remote or not.
Also I discovered while playing that I am able to use both the old (40.0) and the new (52.0) - and at the same time. This way I can give the new remote a fair shake while avoiding frustration by using the old one when necessary. My first thoughts are that there are WAY too many buttons missing.

The 40 doesn't talk to the Harmony either. It's a rf remote just like the 52. That's why I asked what commands he is trying to use.
I don't know a lot about this stuff but if the 40.0 was RF, could I use it from other rooms in the house to control the Hopper in my bedroom? I thought that RF was "line of sight" but maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know a lot about this stuff but if the 40.0 was RF, could I use it from other rooms in the house to control the Hopper in my bedroom? I thought that RF was "line of sight" but maybe I'm wrong?
What I should have said is that I can definitely control my Hopper from other rooms with the 40 remote. A number of websites that sell it all specify that it is "RF/UHF" - whatever that means. I'm guessing that's different that IR?

The 52.0 has to have IR because it can control your tv, DVD/Blu-ray etc.
The H3 I'm guessing does not have IR.

As others have said, the 52 and the 40 remotes are RF only to the Hopper. These remotes output IR ONLY for other devices (TV, Aux, DVD). You'd need to go back to something like the 21 remote to be able to output IR for the Dish receivers.

Also as others have said, Hopper 3 will respond to IR commands used by virtually all other Dish receivers.

There are only a couple of issues that I ran across:

Search used to be on the # button so pressing Search on my IRC remote called up the help menu. There is no SEARCH command in the IRC database but I did fine one by trial and error. I not sure this information is useful to you for your Harmony remote but here is the code information:

Device Code: 0.0 Function: 45 Search

And the Pronto Hex for this command (from MakeHex):
0000 0048 0001 0011 0018 0162 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 005E 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 0162

POWER OFF doesn't work on H3. It functions as a power on! On H2, this worked as power toggle. You can work around this by using the sequence: POWER ON, 0.5 sec delay, POWER (toggle). Some have reported that Harmony may already be doing this.

The OPTION button on the 52 is essentially the RED button on previous remotes. The other color buttons work also so you may or may not want to abandon them.

The System Wizard command does not work on H3. You can still get there with Menu, Menu.

And if you don't like H3 turning on in the Home menu, use the sequence: POWER ON, 0.2 sec delay, CANCEL (or LIVE).

Good luck.

As others have said, the 52 and the 40 remotes are RF only to the Hopper. These remotes output IR ONLY for other devices (TV, Aux, DVD). You'd need to go back to something like the 21 remote to be able to output IR for the Dish receivers.

Also as others have said, Hopper 3 will respond to IR commands used by virtually all other Dish receivers.

There are only a couple of issues that I ran across:

Search used to be on the # button so pressing Search on my IRC remote called up the help menu. There is no SEARCH command in the IRC database but I did fine one by trial and error. I not sure this information is useful to you for your Harmony remote but here is the code information:

Device Code: 0.0 Function: 45 Search

And the Pronto Hex for this command (from MakeHex):
0000 0048 0001 0011 0018 0162 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 005E 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 005E 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 00A5 0018 0162

POWER OFF doesn't work on H3. It functions as a power on! On H2, this worked as power toggle. You can work around this by using the sequence: POWER ON, 0.5 sec delay, POWER (toggle). Some have reported that Harmony may already be doing this.

The OPTION button on the 52 is essentially the RED button on previous remotes. The other color buttons work also so you may or may not want to abandon them.

The System Wizard command does not work on H3. You can still get there with Menu, Menu.

And if you don't like H3 turning on in the Home menu, use the sequence: POWER ON, 0.2 sec delay, CANCEL (or LIVE).

Good luck.
BTW, I did find a few articles describing how to get Pronto Hex into a Harmony remote:
Guide to getting Pronto Hex Codes into Your Harmony Remote | AVForums

I want to enter the HEX codes in the my remote ! - Logitech Forums

I figured it out. The color buttons also relate to the new commands for the Hopper 3. Red - Options, Blue - Apps and Yellow is Settings. I just programmed it like that.

I figured it out. The color buttons also relate to the new commands for the Hopper 3. Red - Options, Blue - Apps and Yellow is Settings. I just programmed it like that.
The color buttons are context-sensitive just like on Hopper 2 and previous DVRs that use them. There will always be an indication of what the colored buttons do in each context.

What I should have said is that I can definitely control my Hopper from other rooms with the 40 remote. A number of websites that sell it all specify that it is "RF/UHF" - whatever that means. I'm guessing that's different that IR?

RF is radio frequency. It broadcasts. IR is infrared is line of site. I forgot witch remote it is but the 40.0 I believe has a switch in the battery compartment that allows you to select IR or RF. You may have to Google that. Or just pop out the batterys and check . But bottom line is switch it to IR learn the Harmony remote then switch it back. Peace

RF is radio frequency. It broadcasts. IR is infrared is line of site. I forgot witch remote it is but the 40.0 I believe has a switch in the battery compartment that allows you to select IR or RF. You may have to Google that. Or just pop out the batterys and check . But bottom line is switch it to IR learn the Harmony remote then switch it back. Peace
actually that is all done from the Hoppers' menus

i know what RF, IR, and UHF mean - but I wondered about the "RF/UHF since there wasn't any kind of switch in the remote. I've since found the option in the Hopper itself. Thanks :)