5209 Firmware Issue

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Here is an interesting observation after updating to firmware 5209.

On the ABC fronthauls which are h264 I started noticing excessive jaggies (not sure if this is the correct word) around text and logos. The circular ABC logo did not appear to be smooth and even peoples collars seemed to jag and were not smooth at times. This was through HDMI and appeared regardless of resolution set at 720 or 1080.

I also looked at the CBS fronthauls that are Mpeg2 and they seemed to be OK. Not sure if this is just an issue with the ABC feeds or h264 in general. When I went back to 5020 the issue was gone. I also never noticed the issue when viewing the feeds on a PC as a means of comparison.

Has anyone else observed this? Seems strange that they would make any changes to the processing of the video but it was definitely noticeable as I switched back and forth between 5020 and 5209. This was on an Elite by the way.

JB

Thanks for the info. I'm not one to usually jump on these releases as soon as they re posted and this just justifies that. Since I don't use the Youtube thingie anyway I'll just stay with 5020 which IMHO has been the best they've had to offer to date.

Just to verify: I have seen the same thing on H264 with 5209. Went back to 5020 on the same feed and the jaggies and crawling went away. Definitely a problem with 5209.

Noisey picture

I noticed a noisey picture way back after 9.3686. I first noticed the issue when upconverting sd channels to 1080I through the component video cable. I load 3686 and the issue goes away. Everything after this update i notice ( jaggles) for lack of a better term or thin long smears usually around text or (pop ups) in the picture. Even in some HD channels. For this reason I keep a copy of 3686. Internal noise issue? or Programming? Hope it gets resolved.

You guys need to forward this info regarding 5209 to azbox or it won't get fixed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)