522 -2 tuners-- Single Mode for One TV

viewer1xyz

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I just switched to Dish Network from DirecTV. The reason was that DirecTV finally made local channels available, but their satellite is so low that there were trees in my path and the technician would not add the second dish required. so, I dumped them and went to Dish.

On DirecTV I had an Ultimate TV (like Tivo) with 2 tuners, running 1 TV in the living room and I had 2 other single tuner units in other rooms, each feeding a single TV.

Getting the installation I wanted from the Dish people was a nightmare! Literally 5 hours (mostly on hold) and a long list of sales people, technical types, and Supervisors.

What I wanted was to have a single TV connected to a receiver that has 2 tuners so I could watch one show and record another. And I wanted to do that in 2 rooms, plus a third room with a single, non-DVR receiver.

I selected 2 522s and a 311, plus the 500 dish and a DP-34 switch to get the required 5 feeds.

I was told, repeatedly by Dish, that I could not have that! The Dish people would only sell a 522 to run 2 TVs in 2 separate rooms. I could only have a total of 4 tuners. Period. The sales people worked from a "package" list in front of them, and if the desired configuration was not on the list, the customer could not have it,even if they were willing to pay extra! So, I worked my way to the supervisor, and to his supervisor, I and finally got to order 2 522s and a 311 if I paid an extra $99.

The Dish folks have a kind of pricing scam going: get satellite and DVR in 2 rooms for only X$$$. OK, but then you learn that the 2 rooms have to share a single receiver (a 522) with a complex set of remotes and connections. If person in room A wants to watch a show and record another show simultaneously, then the person in room B had better like those shows too!!! That's not what I wanted. I finally got to place my order, after hours of frustration. (I'm a former TV service guy, a computer geek, and I have a Ph.D -- I know what I wanted to do!)

So, the technicians came and installed everything, and then they gave me this incredible "training" that involved (just for the living room) 2 Dish remotes, the TV remote, and the VCR remote to watch my channels. The second 522 tuner went to the VCR and I had to switch the TV to the AV input to see the second tuner, and then use the Dish remote 2 to get to the program. Say What???

They also were unable to use the PIP on either Dish remote (said that they never could get that to work).

Well, after they departed, and after I tried to explain it all to my dismayed wife, I looked at the manual. And, there on page 47 (522 manual) was the answer:

SINGLE MODE

By switching the 522 to single mode on the 522 front panel (to feed my single TV), I have access to everything I want, including the PIP run from the Dish remote. And it all works from a single Dish remote control!

How can the Dish sales, technical support, and installers be so blind?? Are they all that in love with the concept of feeding 2 TVs from a single receiver??? The 522 can do it, if you let it.

So, if you want a Tivo/DirecTV experience with Dish Network, be prepared to go to the top level of sales supervisors and pay an extra fee for another receiver -- and the DP-34 switch if needed. And then, teach the installers how to set it up! Get a 522 for each room and feed a single TV.

Good luck to you -- I worked from 10 AM to 3 PM to get the order placed.

I feel sorry for you... as you had to go the loong way about it.

The 99 that you paid wasnt for the receiver but for the DP34. They will not give a DP34 for free if you dont have a superdish.

Im surprised you were able to get that second 522 without contacting the executive offices so kudos on that.

Honestly I do feel your pain as I went through a similar ordeal. at the time I had 3 tvs and wanted the dual tuner and 2 more receivers.. after about 2 hours of talking i finally got what i wanted that would be free.

I do hate to say this but it may help someone in the future... You could have easily done without that second 522. simply feed the 522's tv2 output into the ant in on a 510 in the other room. that has a single sat tuner but you could easily hit a button on the remote and allow the 522's tv2 feed (which would be the same as the feed that TV1 was watching). Its hard to explain without about 6 diagrams. Basicly you could save yourself 99 dollars. But your situation works good. Also if running that tv2 wire out was a no no you could use 4 diplexors to get it done that way see thread (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=35716)

My last point (i hope)

Is that installers rarely know more than plug it up if it doesnt work right send another tech. That aggravates alot of people but its amatter of people beeing greedy and looking to find the lowest bidder. Also these techs that come out are not trained by dish 99% of the time. Heck the ones that i talked to told me you absolutely had to have a 3rd sat to hook up the DP 34. Funny how my DP 34 works just fine for my 5 tuners. Im sure yours works fine too.

I want to note that I am not criticizing you in any way whatsoever. simply pointing out that if someone else reads the thread there are other options to get what you wanted (and 2 522's in one house could easily induce mirgraines). I hope you are happy with your system as it sounds like you got exactly what you wanted (which is rare).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)