522 a 625?

DougE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I signed up for an upgrade to a 625 as a long time subscriber...Dish'n it up I think it is called. The receiver arrived and I retired the 721 and installed the "625" immediately. After all was finished, I happened to look at the front of the receiver and discovered it was a 522 NOT a 625. When I called to authorize, the CSR told me it was the SAME receiver.....the 522 and the 625 are identical!! Then why have two receivers?

I am PO'd here since I paid for an upgrade to a 625, not a 522.

Anyone here know if for certain they are identical? I want the 625 I paid for!

Isn't the only difference the 625 has all those annoying pop-up interactive junk?
Commercial comes on for baby channel and that annoying pop-up "press select to order baby channel" comes on.

The 522 is the stable DVR.

its the same receiver. When the 625 first came along to replace the 522, the only thing it added was the Dish on Demand stuff. Now the 522 has that "feature" also, so there is no real difference in the recievers.

dish 625 has a 120 gig hard drive .why not search dish store or dish network.

dish 625 has a 120 gig hard drive .why not search dish store or dish network.

625 has a 250GB hard drive, at least the ones I've taken apart did. Only 120 is visible to the user though. The other half of the drive is reserves for Dish to use for their On Demand stuff.

Isn't the only difference the 625 has all those annoying pop-up interactive junk?
Commercial comes on for baby channel and that annoying pop-up "press select to order baby channel" comes on.

The 522 is the stable DVR.

Nope!!! both can have pop up ads if enabled. As for stability i've gone through three 522 while my friend still has his 1.5 year old 625. So i'd say the 625 is the better receiver.

the only difference is the 625 has a bigger hard drive. The extra space is strictly for VOd. they both record only 100 hours of programming.

Ron

They are both virtually the same receiver and one will not see any difference using them. It is kind of like the 301/311, virtually the same thing except the 311 has the card built in.

The 522 is probably a refurb though seeing how they do not made these for a few years when they changed the model number to 625 with additional VOD hard drive storage. That is the only benefit of the 625.

They are both virtually the same receiver and one will not see any difference using them. It is kind of like the 301/311, virtually the same thing except the 311 has the card built in.

The 522 is probably a refurb though seeing how they do not made these for a few years when they changed the model number to 625 with additional VOD hard drive storage. That is the only benefit of the 625.

Thanks Stargazer for the succinct and accurate response. Since I have no interest in VOD, perhaps the 522 is a better choice for my needs after all. I just wanted to be certain that DISH was't pulling a "fast one" on me.

I have two 522's and am not ashamed of them and would see no benefit of going to a 625 so I stick with my 522's.

I used dishin it up to upgrade my 322 to a 625. When i got the dvr, it was a 522. No problems with it so far. I researched the difference,and really there is none. Very happy with the 522.

I have a 522 box ( It is on the front) and on the back it says 625 the sys info also says 625 so I wonder if dish just used the old 522 shell and stuck on a 625 label I think the box is great.

Sounds like that is what happened windowman, someone overlooked the different model number of the shell. They refurbish the 522's and use parts from one to another. It is just like how the 301/311/322 shells are all the same and the 501/508/510 shells use the same shells as well. The 111 was different as it was the smallest shell ever used and they could not make those interchangable so that is probably why they quit making/selling those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)