522 Audio/Video Problems

gaoxiang

Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
I just installed a new system with a Dish 522 two weeks ago. The first receiver had some bad issues, so I had Dish send me a new one via mail. Well, I have the new one installed and it seems even worse (I assumed the first one was just a remanufactured dud!)! I will mention that I previously used a 501 receiver for several years at my old house and it worked like a charm. I will list the 522 problems below that I have not seen addressed in this forum (since I seem to have all the bugs already mentioned here!) and hope that someone can provide insight and advise on what I should do next. I am wondering if I should have Dish send me my third 522, or if a technician needs to come and check my installation. Also, does anyone else have the clicking/popping audio problem?

ISSUES:
1) When changing channels, skipping forward or backward, the audio makes a loud and very annoying "popping" sound. The screen flickers as well. This occurs on both the old and new receiver.
2) Playback of recorded DVR events sometimes has bouts of major picture distortion, or major pixelization. This usually lasts for one or two seconds and is often accompanied by loss of audio.
3) When skipping back, the picture completely freezes up. Pressing play or pause buttons does not fix the problem, as it stays locked up. The only way to get out of the freeze is to first hit rewind and then resume play.
4) The audio mutes randomly for one to four seconds, mainly when watching recorded DVR events.
5) When pressing pause, the audio continues playing for one or two seconds after the video has stopped. When resuming play, the video goes without sound for the same amount of time. This occurred on both the old and new receiver.

What should I do?!?!?!?

Dear gaoxiang,

I'm sorry to tell you but if you change your receiver 100 times it will not help you. The problems you listed are the same that every 522 customer suffers from every single day. And if you read a lot, lot, lot, on the satellite message boards or do a lot of searching, you will see that people have already complained about everything you said. There's nothing you or anyone here can do about these problems.

Everyone I think is just hoping that one day E* will fix these 522 problems, but it has already been a long time and nothing has been done. So if you have no contract, and you don't want to live with the bugs, then I say this to you...walk.

Good luck.

Well isn't that discomforting news...Since I am using Dish for their international programming (which DT cannot compete with), can you recommend which DVR receiver they have which would work the best, with the minimum problems? I liked the idea of the 522 because it is a dual receiver, and I don't think the 721 can be had under my Digital Advantage terms. How is the 510 receiver? Is it the same as the 501, just more disk space?

Thanks for your input.

Gao Xiang

I'm sorry but I don't know too much about those other E* receivers. Just the 522 and a little bit on the 322 (almost the same as 522 but no record). Believe me I know what you mean about international channels with E*. They're the best for these channels and that's probably the one thing I will miss when I leave E* and the 522.

Like I said, I've never used them, but people say mostly good things about the 721 and 510 I believe. Software not as nice as the 522 (no NBR/Dish Pass - maybe someday?), but for sure less bugs and problems. I'm sure someone else will post more info. for you about the other models.

Unfortunately, being on DHA, even if you find a way to switch (unlikely), if you went through a local retailer, you'll screw him out of everything he's EARNED by providing you with the installation. That's why most retailers require a contract now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts