522 audio/video sync, pops, etc

partymonkey

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I've noticed fairly recently that when I play back recorded programs on the 522, the audio will skip after a few minutes and get out of sync with the video. This behavior continues throught the recording. Also, the video now gets "blocky" every once in a while. I checked the software version and it is L233.

Has anyone noticed the same? This did not use to happen to me until recently, and I suspect it has to do with "new" software.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

Was getting the same problems. After doing a soft reset after L233 I haven't seen the sync problems but still audio dropouts and video problems but fewer than before.

I had audio dropouts and video glitches with 2.32 and still have them with 2.33
The specific channel I record seems to have something to do with it.
USA is really bad yet other channels vary from minor dropouts to none at all.

I'm getting nervous now. I am supposed to switch from cable to Dish tomorrow. I'm getting the 522 and I guess I'm going to have to have 3 freakin cables running to the out side splitter. Should I stick with cable or go Dish? :confused:

Go with Dish! I have a 522, and even though it has its quirks, it's still HANDS DOWN better than cable. (I've been with Time Warner, Cox, and TVMax over the years.) The value you get, the DVR, the incredible picture.... it's all VERY worth it. Don't worry about everything on these boards.

Hands down the Dish 522 beats any cable DVR I've seen. I live in Charter cable area but work for Comcast as a sub-contractor and neither Charter or Comcast has a decent DVR solution compared to Dish. And now with NBR the 522 is really quite comparable to a Tivo. Still not as good or reliable but getting there.

I had Comcast Digital plus untill Jan of this year and im much more sastified with Dish even with the few minor Dvr-522 problems I have experienced so far.
The PQ I was getting with Comcast was really bad, I payed more than I pay with Dish and didn't have a DVR or HBO that I have now so Im pretty happy.

chowie1 said:
I'm getting nervous now. I am supposed to switch from cable to Dish tomorrow. I'm getting the 522 and I guess I'm going to have to have 3 freakin cables running to the out side splitter. Should I stick with cable or go Dish? :confused:

Should not have 3 cables running outside<->inside. Diplexers, etc take care of this. I have the 522, they passed all signals through 1 RG6 cable to the living room (where the 522 is located). I have two dishes (which is required for local channel 12 here in Denver). The 2 dishes merge into 2 LNB cables which come through that 1 RG6, then I have tuner 2 going OUT that 1 RG6, into a normal splitter feeding the rest of the house (sine that's where all the other bedrooms start at, on the outside).

It's suprisingly a really clean install.

-John

522 and 2.33

partymonkey said:
I've noticed fairly recently that when I play back recorded programs on the 522, the audio will skip after a few minutes and get out of sync with the video. This behavior continues ............
Last night I've noticed audio drops (no sync problems) every minute or so when watching a recorded program on TV1 (with TV2 tuner on and recording). When I turned off the TV2 tuner (but kept recording) the audio skips on the recorded TV1 program disappeared. Didn't have time (or motivation) to diagnose any further whether that could be duplicated.

johnarose said:
Should not have 3 cables running outside<->inside. Diplexers, etc take care of this. I have the 522, they passed all signals through 1 RG6 cable to the living room (where the 522 is located). I have two dishes (which is required for local channel 12 here in Denver). The 2 dishes merge into 2 LNB cables which come through that 1 RG6, then I have tuner 2 going OUT that 1 RG6, into a normal splitter feeding the rest of the house (sine that's where all the other bedrooms start at, on the outside).

-John

So you are saying that the RG6 is essentially 1 cable, but does both inputs AND the output from the 522? Forgive me if that's a dumb question, I'm new to all this stuff. I was told I'd need 2 cables running from the hub inside the house to the 522, and a cable running back from the 522 to the 2nd room.

johnarose said:

-John

That is correct. He said this is new technology that they did not have 2 weeks ago. That part went right. I'll do another post for the other issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts