522 & DishNetwork Remote Control Policy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

strrlvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Dallas, TX
I have a 522 & just recently purchased a Samsung Home Theatre System with DVD player (#HT-DS610).

I was soooo excited to finally get to use my digital sound output on the 522 reciever, and wired it all perfectly through my NEW Samsung, then sat down and couldn't get the DishNetwork remote to work at all with either the DVD or HomeTheatre System! (And yes, I've tried codes, and scanning for hours!)

I don't even want full control, just the ability to adjust volume from my simple, yet sophisticated, DishNetwork Remote on the Samsung. I'm stuck using two remotes, if I want to use the Samsung Audio System.

Are there codes out there I'm not aware of? Or am I more likely floating down that proverbial river without a paddle? Am I destined to a 10 pound universal remote with so much extra that I don't need? Does DishNetwork have an official policy on a remote that doesn't support a very popular Samsung Home Audio System?

:confused: :confused:

Yes, the policy is "the dish network remote may not control your particular device"

Sheesh! It's like the easily fixed things are the ones that always trip DishNetwork up!

Why not make a remote that is truly 'universal', or at least offer one for sale that has the same basic design as their others?

I want the ability to control two E* receivers with one of their remotes. This would need to include reassigning one of the function buttons (i.e. AUX) and assigning a different remote "channel" to it. Then the icing on the cake would be to allow you to set up the reassigned function to be IR or UHF (on the UHF remotes) instead of just leaving it IR.

If you're into hacking stuff just for the sake of it, check out this forum on Yahoo (yeah I know, cringe @ yahoo). http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/

I purchased a URC-6610 for $25 from WalMart about a year ago, and with the software available from the JP1 group, a little time and programming it controls my home theater setup flawlessly, including all functions of my 522. Obviously it won't do UHF, but if that's not a requirement this is THE way to go if you like to tinker and want to consolidate your remotes. I replaced four remotes with mine, and many of the devices I control (the ViewSonic PJ-551 lcd projector for example) aren't covered by _ANY_ universal remotes out of the box. I also wrote some custom macros so simply pressing the 'SAT' button as an example automatically turns on my projector and receiver, sets the correct input on the receiver and leaves the remote in SAT mode.

I did find a very decent remote that handles DVR functions pretty well. The One For All URC-6131.

It controls my DVD/TV/HTS/ and more importantly actually does every function, but the 10sec backward skip(does offer rewind), on my DishNetwork DVR Remote.

It actually almost looks like the DishNetwork remote.

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but I do believe that's a learning remote so you could learn the functions from your Dish remote and move them to the chapter skip buttons (|<<) & (>>|) in the transport section. I had to learn the PIP function buttons for mine as I like switching to single mode for sunday football. :) I also had to do the same with page up / down, and moved them to the power and favorites buttons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)