522 for Regular Customers

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Since the 522 will be available to regular customers in Jan or around that time. Will dish allow activations now if you happen to find one now?

Check the other 522 activation topics for the actual details for getting one activated -- but short answer here is yes they will.

AV8er said:
Check the other 522 activation topics for the actual details for getting one activated -- but short answer here is yes they will.

Whoa whoa whoa. Very much the wrong answer. Read the other threads. There is a high probability that DISH considers a 522 you might find on eBay to be stolen and, unless it is something like a retailer's remainder merchandise, they will probably not activate it if they consider it stolen. You can try ceo@dishnetwork.com to get one activated but there are no guarantees.

Make sure you know what you are talking about before telling someone something that might make them purchase a device for several hundred dollars that might be useless.

briansanders007 said:
Since the 522 will be available to regular customers in Jan or around that time. Will dish allow activations now if you happen to find one now?
Check out this post that I wrote, it's a email right from Dish stating what they will activate and what they wont when it comes to the 322/522 receivers. But if you think about buying one just get the receiver and smart card numbers and call dish to see if it can be activated.

thiggin2 said:
Check out this post that I wrote, it's a email right from Dish stating what they will activate and what they wont when it comes to the 322/522 receivers. But if you think about buying one just get the receiver and smart card numbers and call dish to see if it can be activated.

I knew that post was around here somewhere. Couldn't find it earlier.

Thanks for the Help Forum

I want you to know that I needed this advice after buying a 522 on Ebay. It was new in an unopened box, but had 0 luck getting the damn regular Customer Support people to activate it for me, a longtime customer since 1998. I wrote a long pleading email and sent it through the regular email portal they have on the dishnetwork.com website numerous times and never even got a response. But I tried sending the same email to the ceo@dishnetwork.com email yesterday around 3 pm EST and got a call from a real human (around 8 PM EST) who immediately wanted to make me happy. He checked the Receiver and Smart Card ID and immediately activated it for me. He gave me his email address, his direct phone number and his working hours and told me to let him know whatever I needed. The whole thing took 10 minutes and I felt like I should be apologizing to HIM! I will say that the Executive Office people have their S-it together! He even let me keep my activation for my old 501 for awhile, as a backup, to make sure it stayed working in case the 522 turned out to be bad or have problems. Anyway, this completely renewed my love for Dish. He also mentioned that in January they would be opening up the 522 to everyone, although they weren't sure what all the terms would be. Anyway, just wanted people to know (as long as you have a NEW, previously unregistered 522 and you have been a longtime customer) the ceo@dishnetwork.com email thing still works....

Yes, many of us have went through this ordeal with Dish tier 1 support, and to be fair, it's really not their fault. We new x22 "owners" are asking for something that they can't authorize because of the system. I couldn't agree more about your statement concerning the folks in the Executive office -- they are wonderful!!!

*To Chaddux - For your edification I'll have you know that I've **lived** this process, getting both a 522 and a 322 purchased off Ebay activated. So yes Chad, I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Please get YOUR facts straight before posting inaccurate dribble in the future, as your contribution did little more fan the flames and add confusion. :cool:

I have 4 separate receivers activated on my account right now, 2 of which have dual tuners (322/522). But - I also own all my receivers. I have no idea what restrictions they have on lease customers.

The restrictions on leased customers are 4 tuners, the x22 have 2 tuners so on and so forth, single tv recievers have one. You can have up to 6 on the account but dish will only lease 4 so to get the 5th and 6th you have to buy the 34. Same with existing customers.

AV8er said:
*To Chaddux - For your edification I'll have you know that I've **lived** this process, getting both a 522 and a 322 purchased off Ebay activated. So yes Chad, I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Please get YOUR facts straight before posting inaccurate dribble in the future, as your contribution did little more fan the flames and add confusion. :cool:

AV8er: As you can see from the other posts in this thread, there are certain times that they will not activate it. If it has been previously activated and is considered stolen, they will NOT activate it. I'll even quote for you directly from DISH:

"We will never activate a receiver that has been reported to us as stolen. It's not really a matter of stolen or not stolen. If it is a leased receiver we will not activate it as a purchased receiver regardless of the price a person may pay on eBay."

So, answering a "blanket" yes, as you did, is WRONG. So, I was right and I did have my facts straight. You contribution has been nullified several times over in this thread so YOUR contribution confused the matter. Now, you can shut up.

Nice Chad -- you're a real piece of work pal. !sadroll

The man basically asked if existing customers could get a purchased 522 activated on their account. I'm pretty sure enough people have posted both here and in other topics to prove that the answer to the mans question is yes. Unfortunately you missed the part where I said to "Check the other 522 activation topics for the actual details for getting one activated--." In practically every 522 activation thread someone warns people to check box serial numbers and smart cards with Dish before buying any unit. This is where one would expect to be told that the unit was clear, belonged to another account or was a lease box and still the property of Dish Network. Sorry you missed that. :smug

Lastly, I never used the term "blanket" Chad -- you did. See, a blanket yes would leave someone to believe they could get any box activated on an account regardless of circumstance, and that would be completely false. Anyway, you really proved me wrong Chad and thanks for setting me straight. Guess I'll go "shut up" now... :clap

**Q: Do you actually have personal experience in getting an x22 box activated, or are you just another forum expert? You never said. :confused:

As a rule, you should ALWAYS check the serial number and smart-card number with E* *before* bidding for ANY E* box on eBay--even if it's NOT a 522. Doing that will flush out stolen boxes (including leased boxes), boxes E* knows are hacked, or boxes with unpaid balances (which E* won't activate until someone pays the scoundrel's bill--most likely the buyer). If the seller won't give them to you, either (a) it's hacked or (b) he probably knows it can't be activated; DON'T BUY IT.

Perhaps understanding that fact will bridge the gap between the so-called "blanket" statement (it wasn't) about 522's and those who think it was too broad. If you follow the rules, the only things unusual about 522's are (a) they're more likely to be leased (and thus considered "stolen" by E*), and (b) since tier-1 CSRs don't know about non-leased 522's, you'll probably have to get it escalated to higher-level CSRs (either through "CSR roulette" or, preferably, by emailing the CEO unit directly) to activate it. Of course, (b) won't be true after January, as the tier-1's will have been trained by then to activate newly-purchased 522's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)