522 freezing - CSR blames power strip??

I don't have any intention of trying to run the equipment during a power outage. What I am after is a way to properly take the equipment down and prevent rapid on/off's from getting to the equipment. I had a really nice Maganavox VCR that I bought in the very early 90's before the units had the copy protect chip. About five years go I watched the power cycle on and off a couple of times before it finally went out. The VCR light got dimmer with each cycle and finally went out completely. The unit was dead when the power finally came back on, and it was plugged into an APC surge suppressor. My intention is to keep this from happening to my new equipment and I thought the UPS was the best way to go.

I received my new 522 on Thursday, and it so far, it's been stellar! Not a single lockup or reset. I'm very happy with it.
One thing that they went backwards on though. My 510 DVR would pause, and then you could hit slow-mo and it would go right from where you paused it. Both of the 522's jump forward when you hit the slow option. It takes way more finesse now to get the slow features to the exact spot you want to watch from.

I'm just wondering i keep reading power strip ,power strip ,power strip and rather than surge protector being that there is a difference between the two, A power strip is usually just a fancy extention cord just turning a single wall outlet into multiple-which is where the problem can begins there usually is only a 15 amp circuit feeding a wall outlet having about a maximum of around 8 plus to a circuit ( in new homes ) all a power strip does is increase the amount of load on a existing circuit,it gives no protection from surges which will damage most dish network equipment. While a sure protector does exactly the same thing but gives you the protection needed during surges, which is why a power strip will cost a dollar compared to a surge protector usually being a minimum of around twenty ($20) dollars depending on what level of protection you want or can afford--- So a home without a proper ground or just poorly wired can lead you into problems with just a power strip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts