522 from Ebay -bad idea?

e.saunder

Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
I`ve seen quite a few of 522 receivers beeing sold on Ebay(no warranty). What are the option if anything goes bad? Does anyone repair Dish PVR units commercialy? Or is it a "throw away"?
Thanks

Not really...They usually provide appropriate serial numbers and you can check status by calling Dish people.

e.saunder said:
Not really...They usually provide appropriate serial numbers and you can check status by calling Dish people.

As long as it has NEVER been a lease before, it can be activated. Like you said, get the receiver's R00 number and smart card's S00 number and check with DISH.

I will sell you mine (Never leased outright purchase) Less then 3 weeks old 175.00 shipped

e.saunder said:
I`ve seen quite a few of 522 receivers beeing sold on Ebay(no warranty). What are the option if anything goes bad? Does anyone repair Dish PVR units commercialy? Or is it a "throw away"?
Thanks
If those are "NEW" receivers they are still under warranty for one year after the first activation.

Thanks. Allready got one for $159...Went with Ebay because Dish Network wants $198 up front plus lease fee, after all the years of service they should be giving this stuff for free.

Also if something does go wrong and it isn't under a normal warranty you can buy the warranty plan Dish offers ($5.00/month?) until you get it fixed then just cancel it.

OK I know this is going to sound braindead ...but what am I missing here.

If I went and bought a 522 on ebay [or where ever] to replace the 322 would I :
just use the same 322 card and stuff it in the 522 ?
have to ring Dish to say I'd done that ?
have to pay the $4.98 DVR fee every Month ?

And if I did have to pay the fee and activate why would I do this when the 522 is free to lease anyway ?

I know I'm missing something here but could not clear those questions up by asking around

I bought two new 522 recievers off of ebay. Got them both activated and they are still working to this day. I got one for $139 shipped and the other for $130 shipped.

scamparoni said:
OK I know this is going to sound braindead ...but what am I missing here.

If I went and bought a 522 on ebay [or where ever] to replace the 322 would I :
just use the same 322 card and stuff it in the 522 ?
have to ring Dish to say I'd done that ?
have to pay the $4.98 DVR fee every Month ?

And if I did have to pay the fee and activate why would I do this when the 522 is free to lease anyway ?

To answer in order...
522 has no card - It is built into the unit. 322 card would be useless.

Yes, you have to call Dish to activate your receiver.

Yes, you will pay a $4.95 per mo DVR fee.

The only reason you would lease it is if you plan to have your service for less than a year or are worried about warranty of equipment, plus the box will never be yours.

bigdan said:
i just purchased a 522 what kind of splitter do i need to activate the dual input feature?
You need a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB or a Dish Pro LNB with a Dish Pro Plus 44 Switch and a Dish Pro Plus Separator. You cannot use SPLITTERS on satellites. Or you can run two cables from the dish to the 522. :mad:

i have a dish 500 with a twin lnb but i believe that the the second lnb goes to my sons receiver so would that switch work ? sorry i am new at this and don't have the correct terminology down

bigdan, what kind of dish do you have? If your 522 is replacing a basic 301 receiver, you probably have the Dish 500 with a twin LNBF. So, you already have one coax cable running from the dish that you can connect to one of the 522 antenna inputs.

The twin LNBF already has a connector for a second tuner. So, now, all you need to do is run a second coax from that LNBF connector on the antenna feedhorn to the 522. That will give you your dual input.

You don't use a splitter; you need two separate coax cables attached to two different connectors at the antenna.

i have two receivers already yes they are 301's and the dish is a 500 twin lnb's so do i need a switch to acativate the other input ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts