522 going to 4 TV's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

deviousrlm

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Hey all-- been doing some research on the 522, and I have a question for everyone:

I am interested in getting a 522 to work for my living room (upstairs) and family room (basement). Additionally, I'd like to get TV in 2 other rooms...

Is there a way to get either Tuner 1 or Tuner 2 to show up in the other 2 rooms as well? I figure I could just use the UHF remote (or I have some x10 powermids that I could get to work) so I'm not too concerned with remotes, but just not sure how to pipe the signal throughout the house. Would it be too weak to split that much?

Excuse my naivety for how cable works. :) I have jacks in 4 rooms, and would like to have it working in all w/out having 4 boxes (only 2 of us, so no need to be able to watch 4 different broadcasts.

Thanks a lot!
Matt

Oh yeah, I should probably make a note that the cable jacks are all pretty far away from each other, FYI.

Also, trying to decide which room should have the DVR in it... does the basement work better than upstairs, or does it matter?

Thanks,
Matt

You can split the signal as many times as you want. I have my TV2 split to my basement, bedroom and computer(TV card) and bought another set of remotes on Ebay. Your problem is you probably have all your jacks in all your rooms on the same circuit. You would need to run more cable but it can be done.

I haven't run into any problems yet-- I just bought a house, and this is my proposed setup. I just wanted to make sure it was possible before I ordered a 522 :)

Since you have jacks I assume you already have some form of whole house distribution system. I would place the 522 wherever it is easiest to run a cable to your distribution ampl, wherever you place it you will need to run 2 cables directly from your satellite dish to your 522. I would then connect a cable from Tuner 2 directly to your distribution amp and then you can use the built in uhf/catv modulator to an un-used uhf or cable channel, you will then be able to access Tuner 2 from all tv's in your home by selecting the output channels you set. I would also run a cable from the Tuner 1 output to your distribution amp too and set the channel 3/4 modulator preferably to one not used, if you want to integrate an outside antenna for ota locals and you receive a channel 2,3,4,5, or 6 you will need a channel 3 or 4 combiner, if you connect both Tuner1 and Tuner 2 to distribution amp you may need a splitter to combine the 2 cables, with this setup you will be able to receive Tuner 1 on all TV's by simply tuning in channel 3 or 4 and Tuner 2 by simply selecting the uhf or cable channel you selected on the 522 Tuner out. I would also suggest connecting the 522 tuner 1 directly to your best TV by S-Video and composite (rca) for best audio and video results, tuner 1 rf channel 3/4 modulator is in mono only, this is why you want to use composite connections for Tuner 1 of best TV and S-Video will provide the best video . Tuner 2 uhf/catv rf modulator is in stereo and all remote TV's will receive in stereo. This setup will give you the maximum flexibility because it will allow access to both tuners on the 522 to all of your TV's and can watch any 2 recordings on all TV's. I hope this helps :) .

deviousrlm said:
Hey all-- been doing some research on the 522, and I have a question for everyone:

I am interested in getting a 522 to work for my living room (upstairs) and family room (basement). Additionally, I'd like to get TV in 2 other rooms...

Is there a way to get either Tuner 1 or Tuner 2 to show up in the other 2 rooms as well? I figure I could just use the UHF remote (or I have some x10 powermids that I could get to work) so I'm not too concerned with remotes, but just not sure how to pipe the signal throughout the house. Would it be too weak to split that much?
I doubt the PowerMids will work - they relay IR not UHF, don't they?
deviousrlm said:
Excuse my naivety for how cable works. :) I have jacks in 4 rooms, and would like to have it working in all w/out having 4 boxes (only 2 of us, so no need to be able to watch 4 different broadcasts.
This ain't cable, dude. :cool:
Post above gives some good info, but he's making some assumptions, as would I given the same questions. You need to find out how the house is wired before you can know for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts