522 Hard Drive Spindown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

genglish

Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
I just got a 522 last week. Browsed quickly through this forum and found nothing on this, so I'll post this question--sorry if I missed it somewhere else.

The question is regarding the hard drive. My old DVR (Brighthouse digital cable, Scientific Atlanta box) spun down the hard drive if I turned the power button off, and there wasn't anything currently being recorded.

The 522 seems to run the hard drive all the time, even when it is off (single mode), or both TV1 and TV2 are off (dual mode) -- no hard drive standby. This is not only a little wasteful, but also more importantly to me, very annoying, as I have this box in my bedroom. The hum of the hard drive going when everything else is turned off is bothering me. It also probably generates more heat as well when you really want it off.

Does everyone else's do this? Any suggestions given to Dish on this to improve yet?

Thanks,

Gary

The hard drive does continue all the time. In fact, if you turn it off and turn it back on, you can actually rewind the live programming even though it was turned "off." As far as I know, this is what it's supposed to do and no way to stop it outside of a software update.

chaddux said:
The hard drive does continue all the time. In fact, if you turn it off and turn it back on, you can actually rewind the live programming even though it was turned "off." As far as I know, this is what it's supposed to do and no way to stop it outside of a software update.

I still cant do that. mine doesnt buffer when it is in standby.

Anyway... no it doesnt spin down... ever. the 510's and prevois 5xx units do spin down after about 30 minutes of being in standby.

ShadowEKU said:
I still cant do that. mine doesnt buffer when it is in standby.

I just turned mine on and was able to rewind nearly 45 minutes. Not sure why I couldn't go back two hours or what happened 45 minutes ago to start the rewind buffer.

I tried it on lunch jsut to se eif maybe the new software had changed it. no dice.. turned it on and could rewind about 3 seconds. tried a quick turn off and back on... same thing... could rewind to the point i turned it on. wonder if it has anything to do with that im in single mode perhaps?

The buffer durring standby seem to be dependent on if any recording was taking place durring the standby time I have been able to rewind the buffer some when I take the unit out of standby while a recording event is occuring. Then I usally can rewind the buffer back to the start time of the recording cycle. This is assuming not recording with both tuners.

Just gave it a quick try.

All of the states below are cycling TV1 OFF then back ON. Then trying to rewind TV1 feed.

Single Mode TV1: No Rewind

Dual Mode TV1 ON, TV 2 OFF: No Rewind

Dual Mode TV1 ON, TV2 ON: YES Rewind possible

Mark_AR said:
Just gave it a quick try.

All of the states below are cycling TV1 OFF then back ON. Then trying to rewind TV1 feed.

Single Mode TV1: No Rewind

Dual Mode TV1 ON, TV 2 OFF: No Rewind

Dual Mode TV1 ON, TV2 ON: YES Rewind possible

Well I guess my assumption about the single mode was correct. I wish i could understand dish engineers/programmers. but if i did i would be in an asylum

Mine is in my room and it is very annoying. And this may have started a couple of weeks ago too, it didn't do it before that.

I am also able to rewind after the tv has been off and my cutoff is 45 minutes too. I was shocked the first time I did this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts