522-Hard Drive Wipe

phat_bastard said:
It's too bad the software guys didn't have this take on it. I have the feeling that this was billed as a too tough a task to be worthwhile, and moved on.
How hard can it be? Modern disks are quite adept at translating bad spots, and OS'es are aren't too shabby at repairing filesystem corruption and/or deleting the stuff they can't fix. It seems to me like the APPLICATION, i.e., Dish software, would have to do pretty much nothing to deal with this stuff.

What??? Do they have code in place like this (pseudo-code babble obviously, but you get the point!):
Code:
if ( ! file->open() ) {
    system("reformat!!!");
}
Sheesh!

Pepper said:
What haertig said, plus my concern: if the box just wipes out the partitions and recreates them, any bad sectors would still be out there just waiting to cause the same problem again.

This thesis could be dismissed easily by installing the disk in your PC and running some low-level diagnostics program from Maxtor or Seagate web sites.
Personally, I would say Dishnetwork developers relay to S.M.A.R.T. and do nothing for re-map bad sectors or defrag files.

I am thinking alot has to to with a bad receiver shutdown too.
My 522 has been working great for the last 6 months. Before a storm the other night, & powered down & unplugged my 522. When I plugged it back in, I plugged it into the top outlet (wall switched) by mistake and it turned off then when I shut off the wall switch. The very next day, a movie I recorded, would hang & stall during various parts. That evening I had the diagnostics running for 3 hours, & the next morning I got the hard drive error, I am going to wipe your HD clean message. It may have just been coincidence, but I think the improper shutdown had alot to do with it.
I also agree that If I do an exchange, I may be inheriting someone else's probloems. I am sure with the number of receivers Dish has coming back for repair, they only repair what is noted on the problem sending it back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts