522 How can I change tv 1 from IR to RF?

drizler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find it searching. When mine was installed I should have had them put the reciever in my daughters room since everything there is direct line of sight and I of course want the other input working in both the Living room and master bedroom. For the last few years I have managed with a pair of those pyramid extenders and they worked sort of ok in running the tv1 from the bedroom. For one reason or another layout ect there have been issues and we have had to replace them twice so thats that. No more piramids,
Thus is there an easy not overly expensive way to switch over the rf and ir feeds or make both so they receive RF , buy a new remot ect. I really don't want to get into running more cables and drilling more holes in floors if I have to. :(

the 522/625 is designed to allow optional RF control of TV1 in addition to standard RF control of TV2...however, you will need to obtain an additional RF remote (model 6.0 or 6.2), as the standard provided 5.0 TV1 remote is IR-only....ideally you will have one with a '1 UHF' green-colored base key, but another one with a blue '2 UHF' key will also work...the keys are the same other than in color for reduced confusion as to which 'side' of the unit they are to operate...they simply have to be set to different remote codes, unlike with the TV1 IR/TV2 UHF

you do not HAVE to yet have a second RF remote in order to set the receiver for TV1 UHF use...on the main set (at receiver using TV1 IR), first go to menu 6, 1, 6 and enable TV1 UHF operation...then exit the menu and push the 'sys info' button on the front of the receiver...note the remote address codes as set for TV1 and for TV2...if they are the same, one will have to be changed in order to complete TV1 UHF enabling...

for consistency, i like to keep TV1 on remote code 1, and put TV2 on remote code 2...so first, i will change TV2's code from 1 to 2, by using the arrow up on the TV1 IR remote to highlight the TV2 remote code field...then i will switch to the blue-key TV2 UHF remote, program it to code 2, and press 'record' to effect the change...the TV2 code field now shows a 2...going back to the TV1 IR remote, i scroll on up to highlight the TV1 code field...now, to complete the TV1 UHF enabling, you switch back to an RF remote in hand, either an additional one you have obtained, or your existing TV2 UHF one...now, program the RF remote to a code which is different that that in the TV2 code field...in my case, i'm using code 1, because i already have a 2 in the TV2 field...once you have this different code set in the RF remote, press record...the words 'TV1 IR' will change to read 'TV1 IR AND UHF'....

if you used your TV2 remote to set up your TV1 UHF, remember to reset its code back to the one the receiver has for TV2 UHF....

you can either send signals to other tv's using separate cables from the TV1 and TV2 modulated outputs, or combine the outputs together and split the result to all rooms, then just pick ch. 3/4 to use with an RF remote set for TV1, or whatever other channel TV2 is set to output on, and use an RF remote set for the TV2 code in the receiver....

Thanx for the info. Its pretty clear you are workin a few levels above me with these things as I had to sit and read it over a couple times and digest it for a while. So what I really need is a green RF remote then do the settings right? Now can you get them off ebay and the like discounted or are there shoddy knockoffs lurking? That will be my next step. Funny I always had problems with those pyramid things. I think they burn out from overuse. At least with my set the transmitter tends to run continuously if its too close to the front of the tv. Gusess what there isn't much of anyplace else to put it line of sight either. Its weird but you can see the little red light flickering away in there faintly.[

bernie_b,

I have a Vip622 receiver and I am using it in two locations. However, I want to have both locations use IR so that I can easily set up a universal remote. Is this possible? Is it done the same way as the 522? I have an IR relay from location 2 to location 1 so sending the IR wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

I'm using dual mode, so you're saying it wont work...

Can an RF universal remote be programmed to handle the TV2 commands? Has anyone done this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)