522 Inconsistent "Check Switch" tests

creative_paws

Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have never had any problems with my Dish network until now.

I have a 522 using a DP-twin LNB. Two wires are run from the satellite dish to my 522. I have no trees or anything near my house which could hamper reception. And nothing has changed (no construction, etc.).

I recently started having problems with signal reception on one of my tv's. Some channels come in fine (i.e. CNN Headline News) while other channels are blocky with pixels flicking around the screen if any reception at all (i.e. Science Channel). Same problem no matter what time of day.

I decided to do some research and then I ran the Point Dish function. If I select Tuner Input 1, it always shows a reading of about 100 for Satellites 110 and 119. And the picture is always crisp and clear when I select Tuner Input 1.

Tuner Input 2 on the other hand always shows a reading of around 40. When I run the "Check Switch" diagnostic, the results are not consistent. I can run it one time and everything comes back good for Satellite Inputs 1 and 2. The next time I run it, it may show a reception error. If there is an error, it always shows up under Satellite Input 2. And when I have Tuner Input 2 selected, the picture on some channels (i.e. Science Channel) is always blocky with the pixels flicking occasionally.

I got behind my 522 receiver and swapped the cables for Satellite Input 1 and 2. The errors still show that I have a problem with Satellite Input 2.

Does this mean that I have a problem with my receiver or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips/information.
Leslie :confused:

I would assume that since one tuner is 100 and the other is 40, you either had a problem with the wire or the tuner. I think you said you swapped cables, so Id say the tuner is bad.

There is a flaw with the check switch on my 622 also. If I go straight to the check switch screen and run it, it shows OK on all. If I go to the point dish screen first, then check some random TP's on other satellites, then run a check switch it comes back with problems.

I think going into the point dish screen first and goofing around before running a check switch exposes a flaw in the check switch software, I don't think it actually means you have a problem. If I go straight to the check switch and run it, I get OK's every time.

Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate the quick response. I have my system through SBC (now ATT) so I will give them a call today and see if I can't get this unit swapped out.

Thanks a bunch & have a great day!

Try these...

First, do a front panel or hard reset.
Hold down the front power button for 10 seconds. Release. Wait for the receiver to go through it's re-boot.
Try check switch again.
If that doesn't work, unplug all receivers in the house. Wait a few minutes, then plug them back in starting with the 522 and run check switch.

If those don't work, it's gotta' be a bad tuner. I don't recall one failing that way, though.

Highdef Jeff

There is a flaw with the check switch on my 622 also. If I go straight to the check switch screen and run it, it shows OK on all. If I go to the point dish screen first, then check some random TP's on other satellites, then run a check switch it comes back with problems.

I think going into the point dish screen first and goofing around before running a check switch exposes a flaw in the check switch software, I don't think it actually means you have a problem. If I go straight to the check switch and run it, I get OK's every time.

Your observation is correct, though it affects only those users, that have a 1000.2. This is a confirmed flaw in the software by the engineering department, and will be addressed soon in a future software release. It likely won't be in the next release, but thereafter. Users that don't utilize the 1000.2 are not affected. :)

Your observation is correct, though it affects only those users, that have a 1000.2. This is a confirmed flaw in the software by the engineering department, and will be addressed soon in a future software release. It likely won't be in the next release, but thereafter. Users that don't utilize the 1000.2 are not affected. :)

Thanks for the update. Its not really a biggie once I figured out what was happening, but itll be nice to have it fixed.

Wracking my brains on this as I saw this a few times last year, if I remember correctly I replaced the receivers or the lnbfs and the problem went away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)