522 install...did I have a lazy installer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Senor Bildo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Long time reader, first time poster...

Put in an order for a 522 a couple of months ago. Naturally, I wanted the 522 installed in my main living area, since that is where my home theater is set up. The problem in installing it was that my interior coax line was installed by my homebuilder on a wall that shares its other side with my sheathing and brick. Knowing that I needed another coax line dropped for the dual tuner, I thought there would be a way to do so from the attic, but the installer said that since my wall was not shared with an interior wall and (I forgot to mention) that my outside coax lines were on the opposite end of the house, that he'd have to drill a hole through the brick. I took this at face value, and agreed that I didn't want a hole driven through brick. It was more of a "I just paid a s-load of money for this house, and I can't bear to see a hole driven into the wall" type of decision.

I live with my decision to not drill through the brick. I got a 510 instead.

Now I'm wondering if there was a way to add the extra line from the inside on that particular wall, or was my installer just lazy?

Great forum!

The only difference between that outside wall and an interior wall is that it has insulation in it. If it were me, I would have used the coax in the wall as a pull string to get two coaxes to the attic. Then I would pull one new one to the dish location and connect the original to the other new one I just pulled in the wall. Voila, you now have 2 coaxes to your 522. Your installer was either lazy or non thinking.

I am not so sure this installer is lazy or what, as I understand, if the cable is run through the brick wall, sometime it is loose and sometime it is stuck with the mortar and can not be pull at all, same here the local cable puller, if the wall is over 10' in height, the cable uses stapled in the wood frame, so no way to pull.

you could always in the future upgrade the switch outside to a dpp44, it can use a single line for dual tuners. 1 cable from switch to receiver, then uses a seperater to run to both sat in connections of the receiver. dish doesnt supply these right now, in most situations anyway

Bobby said:
The only difference between that outside wall and an interior wall is that it has insulation in it.

Not to criticize... but every wall ive ever done a pull in has had insulation...

that includes interior and exterior. that said i could see people not using insulation on inside walls.

Roller said:
you could always in the future upgrade the switch outside to a dpp44, it can use a single line for dual tuners. 1 cable from switch to receiver, then uses a seperater to run to both sat in connections of the receiver. dish doesnt supply these right now, in most situations anyway

I have a 522. I have 1 RG-6 cable from the outside running to my living room. Period. Through this 1 cable pass a LOT of signals - it passes the 2 (or 3 nor sure) signals from the 2 dishes I have on the side of my house - 1 normal dish and 1 for local channels.

Then I have a signal passing OUT through this line, on channel 73, for TV2, that ends up connecting to a big splitter that feeds the other 4 TVs in the house.

I'm not sure why you'd need to drop another coax for dual-tuners when these diplexors, etc will do the job.

By the way, this was all part of my "no-charge" install.

-John

PS: My vote is lazy.

My vote is for the installer he probably protected your house. In new construction our codes require that the cables are stapled inside the wall cavity. Try pulling two cables up through staples. You also don't want to pull the insulation and create a void in that outside wall. I haven't seen your house but how much room is there in the attic above the wall, if the roof tapers down over that wall there may not be room for him to even get to the wall.

boba, the roof does taper down over that exterior wall. That's basically what his response was in not being able to do it. I guess I was just wondering if there was any other way to get it on that wall.

Thanks for all the responses.

ShadowEKU said:
Not to criticize... but every wall ive ever done a pull in has had insulation...

that includes interior and exterior. that said i could see people not using insulation on inside walls.
I've had two houses and neither had insulation in the interior walls. I don't know of anyone who's had a house built that was insulated on the interior walls. Perhaps it's a regional thing...kinda like heat pumps.

A lot of new house construction includes insulating interior walls. The main advantage is sound isolation especially around media rooms and bedrooms the additional cost is not very large to do it and most people like the results. Its really only been popular the last 10 years or less so if your home is older than 10 years most likely the interior wall will not be insulated unless its on the higher end of the market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts