522 install problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shrudy

Original poster
May 26, 2007
Hi guys,
Completely new to all of this so bear with me if you will. Upgrading from a 322 (non-dvr) to a 522. Per instructions, I connected everything properly, programmed the remotes, and the Point Dish interface appeared. However I mistakenly skipped the Check Switch test and upgraded the reciever's software. This took about 20 minutes, it downloaded the new software, and programmed the memory, but when it finished (i think?) the screen went black and the reciever went into a loop in which the the hard drive whirs, green power button for TV1 comes on and remains steady for 45 seconds or so, harddrive quiets down suddenly, all three lights come on, (TV1 TV2 DUAL - Green Blue Orange) for about 2 seconds, then turn off, hard drive whirs up again and steady green light comes on for another 45...

While it's in this loop neither the remote control nor the reciever buttons have any functionality, meaning i can't even turn the receiver on or off. I have to unplug it altogether, and when i plug it back in it goes into the loop. I called dish and they believe it's defective, i'm not so sure though because it was obviously working initially during the point dish phase. I reconnected my 322 and that's working fine. One technician told me that it sounded like a reboot attempt or something on the reciever's part, and informed me that it could take 45 minutes to complete. so i plugged it in with no connections and let it run for over an hour, but it's still in the loop.

any ideas? could it be because I failed to run a check switch before upgrading the software? is there a way to reset the reciever? thanks ahead.

Check Switch didn't have anything to do with it. A reboot loop most likely means the hard drive is corrupted.

If this is a lease unit or owned and still under warranty, have Dish replace it.

If it's owned, and out of warranty, and you feel you have the technical know-how to do it, try this:
- remove the hard drive
- put it in a computer on secondary IDE port
- delete all partitions on the hard drive. You should be able to use Disk Management to do this.
- You might want to also download the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics utility and use that to zero the drive.
- put it back in the 522.
- power up and wait a few minutes. It will partition and format the drive and you should be good to go.
- Run check switch, then activate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)