522 Install

rcn1

Original poster
May 19, 2004
I am trying to install a new 522. I had an older receiver with a legacy dish 500 that I am replacing. Can I use (2) sw21's to connect to the receiver or do I need a different type of switch?

Thanks

rcn1 said:
I am trying to install a new 522. I had an older receiver with a legacy dish 500 that I am replacing. Can I use (2) sw21's to connect to the receiver or do I need a different type of switch?

Thanks
Yep you can use those switches.

I have a dish pro set up at my main home, and a legacy set up at my summer home. Legacy is as above with 2 sw21's. I currently have a 522 and 811 at my main home. If I were to bring my 522 receiver between the two homes, I know I have to run a check switch test prior to using receiver or it may damage somthing. What exactly is the procedure for doing this? Do I connect everything up, power everything up, and then run check switch? Or do I connect to everything but the lnb's and run the check switch? I do know not to hook up the 522 to a phone line at my summer place.

If a check switch needs to be run, it will most likely tell you. I don't think anything will be damaged. As far as the phone line, you may have some problems since Dish requires this to avoid the monthly extra receiver fee. It will still work, but you will probably get a pop-up message if it's not hooked to a phone line. I think it needs to be connected at least once a week before it starts to complain with a pop-up message.

You will have to do a check switch without the dish connected to the receiver before hooking it up to any legacy dish setup (sw21's are in a legacy dish setup) to prevent any damage to the legacy lnbf's and legacy switches since DishPro runs at 18 volts.

I will only be making the change from dish pro to legacy 1 time in the spring, and then back to dish pro in the fall. I currently have all the equipment needed and would rather not upgrade everything to dish pro. I have to install dish and everything this spring, so going through a "check switch' is no big deal. (I have an RV waver so I will not have to connect to phone line)

So to get this straight, I would disconnect the 522 from the current dish pro set up, then run a check switch, which will say no switch gear connected.
I will then hook up to legacy system, and run check switch. It should then tell me I have (2) sw21's.
I will then have to go to the installation and point dish screen to lock onto the satellite. Is this correct?
If so I am assuming the reverse procedure in the fall, however, I will not have to go through the point dish part, as that will remain installed at my house.

You will have to align the dish before you can run a check switch on the legacy system. If the receiver is not detecting a signal from 119 &110 it will not detect a switch.

I thought that the purpose for check switch was to prevent voltage from destroying the legacy lnb. If I have everything all hooked up and then run check switch, how do I protect the lnb's?

Stargazer said:
You will have to do a check switch without the dish connected to the receiver before hooking it up to any legacy dish setup (sw21's are in a legacy dish setup) to prevent any damage to the legacy lnbf's and legacy switches since DishPro runs at 18 volts.

Legacy gear runs at 13/18 volts also, what could possibly be damaged?

Got it. Thanks for all your help. There really are some knowledgeable people contributing to this site.
If I were to switch over to DP lnb's, what do I require to run a 522 receiver on 110 and 119 (DP twin or DP quad etc.). Also can I use the 2 sw21's that I already have, or will those even be needed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts