522 Locking up

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Has anyone else had a problem with the 522 locking up every now and then for a few seconds?

Sometimes when I go to use the box after having not touched it for a little bit(30+min) it will lock up and the guides wont work but I can still see picture moving. Then, after about 5-15 seconds, it will totally freeze(picture and all) for another 5-15 seconds. After all that it will snap back and be fine for however long.

It wouldnt be something I would have a problem with if the problem was just that but when it does lock my recordings will pixilate and skip at the time the box locks making for a sometimes jumbled recording.

I have checked the heat of the box and it is cool to the touch. The counters say max heat is 120F, lowest heat is 31F, and average is 81F. I have the box set to update every morning at 5am and it usually stays off from that time till around 8-10am. One thing I did notice just last night was that I could hear the hard drive from across the room. I had never noticed it being so loud so I dunno if it was just the fact that the room was very quiet at that time or that the hard drive was louder than normal but it did seem loud overall. However, the noise coming from the hd didnt sound bad. It just sounded like a normal working hd that was loud.

Anyways, back to my question ... has anyone had this problem?

Thx

Yes I have seen that problem also most of the time it seems to occure when one or more timers start recording however it has also occured when nothing else was going on while I was just watching Live TV and tried the guide or went into the PVR menu. My guess is something in the background is running and eats up all the boxes resources causing it to freeze for a few seconds. So far every time this has happened to me it has always came back without any other problems.

I get it too, I already made a new thread about it but I will warn you here also. Do not force a power down manually (by holding the power button in for 5 seconds) durning one of these lockups or it will wipe the entire disk of all your recordings. I learned that the hard way.

LMAO!! Now thats funny because one of the techs from Dish told me to actually DO that. It locked while I was on the phone with em and they told me to hold the power button down.

I know the kinda problems that can come from doing that so I just said uh huh and pretended like I was doing something. Then I told em it came back up still locked. They suggested that I power it down each time before I start recording something.

Let me say that agian ...

They(well the one tech) suggested that I shut the system off each time before something records. They went on to tell me that the box will keep locking unless I do that. I just asked him what the point of recording while I am away is if I have to come home to shut off the box first. He just put me on hold and then the phone magically got disconnected...

The box doesn't have the resources to run the software they put into it with L232. They need to clean up their software to run on the box with fewer resources or put it in a box with more resources.

cheers,
eastern oregon

They'll eventually get the bugs worked out. Its just a matter of time. By that time another receiver will take its place, probably the MPEG-4 and/or HD version.

Yeah, I can see it now...

They introduce the DVR 530. It is able to record in mpeg 4, has 300 hours of recording, and does HD. Now the bugs will be that it can only record in mpeg 2, only has 100 hours of record time, and cant do HD. But hey, at least wont have the bugs of the 522. :)

This has happened to me a few times. The first time I did a power down but everything was ok. As long as it keeps fixing itself pretty quick I won't complain too much about it. But you know one time it won't fix itself at all.

Stargazer said:
They'll eventually get the bugs worked out. Its just a matter of time. By that time another receiver will take its place, probably the MPEG-4 and/or HD version.
That won't matter to us though because we are existing loyal customers who will have absolutely no chance of getting the latest hardware, that is only reserved for new subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)