522 newbie questions, and latest sw update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

doctorfunk16

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Howdy,

I'm looking into the following options:

(a) 522 controlling two seperate TV's
(b) Two 510's, each controlling their own TV
(c) DirecTivo options

We have two tv's, one upstairs where we watch most of our TV, and one downstairs where work out while watching recorded shows (allows me to skip commercials). I want to watch recorded shows on both TVs. Ideally, I like the functionaly of the 522 as I only have to setup one recording list and have a "central" location for all of my recorded shows. This is simpler than having to program the two 510's, probably with a lot of overlap in case I want to watch a show in one room or another.

For the 522, am I correct in understanding that you can (now) watch a show recorded on either TV# from either TV#? For example, can I record a show on TV1 and then watch it on TV2? Is this a pain in the butt, or pretty easy to do?

Also with 522, does PiP now work? If I'm using PiP in TV1, does that mean I can't watch anything on TV2? Does it automatically kill the signal on TV2, or something different?

Is there any additional time when loading a channel over what I have with my current non-PVR Dish Network receiver? Someone said there is if you go to the channel directly, but there isn't if you select the channel via the program guide.

I'm still waiting to see if the latest software update (2.07?) has fixed many of the problems listed here.

I'm an existing customer, so to get the 522 I would have to email ceo@dishnetwork or call and threaten to leave Dish. Perhaps one of those would work. If I go with two 510's, that means I'm paying 2 x $5 for two PVR, plus another $5 for the additional receiver. That's $10/month than with the single 522. I wonder if I threaten to leave unless they waive the fees on the 510's if they would go for that.

I'm very interested in DirecTV at this point. The Tivo stuff sounds a little more solid, and NBR seems cool too. If Dish doesn't waive the additional $10 in PVR, I might as well go DirecTV as I can get dual PVR and Showtime for about the same amount of money. I know it might be more money up front, but its a matter of principle here. :D

For the 522, am I correct in understanding that you can (now) watch a show recorded on either TV# from either TV#? For example, can I record a show on TV1 and then watch it on TV2? Is this a pain in the butt, or pretty easy to do?

As far as I know, this has always been the case with the 522. It is very easy. All of the DVR screens are common screens. There isn't a TV1 and TV2 DVR Screen. Whatever is recorded is available to both TVs on this screen and is actually not differentiated as a TV1 recorded-program or a TV2-recorded program. (Also, you can't prevent one of the TV's from viewing a recording either.) You can actually watch the same recording on both TVs at the same time and maintain independent control (pausing on TV1 doesnt affect TV2 playback).

Also with 522, does PiP now work? If I'm using PiP in TV1, does that mean I can't watch anything on TV2? Does it automatically kill the signal on TV2, or something different?

Don't know the answer to this one because I've never tried.

Is there any additional time when loading a channel over what I have with my current non-PVR Dish Network receiver? Someone said there is if you go to the channel directly, but there isn't if you select the channel via the program guide.

Dual-tuner receivers, whether DVR or not, react slower than single receivers. The 322 I had briefly and my 522 both respond slower than my 311. In some instances, it seems to be "thinking" before it finally decides to do whatever command you gave.

I'm still waiting to see if the latest software update (2.07?) has fixed many of the problems listed here.

Since 2.07, the only problem Im getting is the sound "chirps" when I skip forward or back but it is only occasionally and all of the other problems have not shown up.

I'm an existing customer, so to get the 522 I would have to email ceo@dishnetwork or call and threaten to leave Dish. Perhaps one of those would work. If I go with two 510's, that means I'm paying 2 x $5 for two PVR, plus another $5 for the additional receiver. That's $10/month than with the single 522. I wonder if I threaten to leave unless they waive the fees on the 510's if they would go for that.

There is one model (508?) that doesn't have a fee. Also, the DVR fees are waived under AEP.

I'm very interested in DirecTV at this point. The Tivo stuff sounds a little more solid, and NBR seems cool too. If Dish doesn't waive the additional $10 in PVR, I might as well go DirecTV as I can get dual PVR and Showtime for about the same amount of money. I know it might be more money up front, but its a matter of principle here. :D

Also, with the 522 does Dish charge you $5/month rental AND $5/month for DVR fees? Or just $5/month total?

Just $5 DVR fee. They shouldn't charge the extra five if it's your main receiver.

Both TV1 and TV2 share the hard drive. Just like Chad said, you can both watch the same show with no problems.

And the PIP does kill TV2 because you're using that second signal for the PIP. What you can do is enable 'shared view,' which means you'll see the same thing on both TV1 and 2. That way at least TV2 doesn't just get a blank screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)