522 Noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tzujan

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
OK, new guy here. Just got the Dish service and the 522. No problems so far, but the 522 seems to be making a thumping noise when it's on. Just wondering if this is normal? I assume it is, since it sounds like a hard drive hitting and I suppose it should due to the 2 hour continuous recording.

If the thing dies on me, will they replace it since I’m leasing?

Thanks.

Great forum, real glad I found it!

Tzujan said:
OK, new guy here. Just got the Dish service and the 522. No problems so far, but the 522 seems to be making a thumping noise when it's on. Just wondering if this is normal? I assume it is, since it sounds like a hard drive hitting and I suppose it should due to the 2 hour continuous recording.

If the thing dies on me, will they replace it since I’m leasing?

Thanks.

Great forum, real glad I found it!

Thumping? Is it a random thumping or does it follow a specific pattern? If it's a pattern, it sounds like EITHER (1) the read-arm of the hard drive is smacking something as it spins by OR (2) there is an obstruction in the path of the fan. If you can determine that the fan is not spinning (or not spinning fast enough to make the sound), best bet is option 1.

Well, maybe thumping was a bad choice of words, it's just a dull sound. I would say it's more random than not, but does happen the entire time it's on.

I guess I was more concerned about the return policy than anything else.

Thanks for your help

I think what you're hearing is the hard drive accessing and or reading writing files. Mine makes the exact same noise. I have to put my ear right up to the unit to hear it though.

Tzujan said:
Well, maybe thumping was a bad choice of words, it's just a dull sound. I would say it's more random than not, but does happen the entire time it's on.

I guess I was more concerned about the return policy than anything else.

Thanks for your help
Well, it is obvious. They do replace the bad ones, since it is a leased equipment. About the noise I am not sure how bad it is. I have a 522 and I never heard a noise. However even after power off if you touch the box you feel vibration indicating some activity.

kbohip said:
I think what you're hearing is the hard drive accessing and or reading writing files. Mine makes the exact same noise. I have to put my ear right up to the unit to hear it though.

Yea, gotta be real close to hear it. Probably nothing to worry about.

Anybody know about the return policy?

While you are discussing the noise produced by the 522, could you tell me if there is a continuously running fan a la the 921? The 501 is very quiet when in standby, is the 522 the same way?

I can hear the Harddrive reading and writing on my 522. Its not as loud as my PC harddrive but I can hear it if I listen for it.

The receivers come with a 1 year warranty. Lease units are covered for the life of the lease.
They will UPS you a replacement Receiver and you will return the defective one.
They charge you a shipping fee after the first 90 days. The fee is around $15 and covers shipping in Both Directions.
If they have to send a Tech to your house its a $99 service call fee.

If you purchased the $5.99 per month warranty the shipping fee is waived and you pay only $29 for a service call.

No contract is required with the DHA lease plan but if you agree to a 1 or 2 year contract during Install they include the $5.99 warranty package free.

jtravel said:
No contract is required with the DHA lease plan but if you agree to a 1 or 2 year contract during Install they include the $5.99 warranty package free.

Say what??? I never heard of this offer. I would've signed up. :shocked

Pablo_New said:
Say what??? I never heard of this offer. I would've signed up. :shocked

It was a option on the Dish Agreement I had to sign. The installer brought the agreements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)