522 Not Getting NBR First?

itsonthedish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Anyone else annoyed by the fact that Dish Network has deemed it necessary to implement NBR on their HD model DVR first and not the 522? I think this is ridiculous. Im glad I have my media center PC up and running. Im about to say so long to DishNetwork altogether.

Where did you hear that the HD model will get NBR first? I have always heard that the 522 will be the first to get it, and should hopefully be getting it before the end of the year.

I believe I read something about it on the transcripts of the chat... seems they mentioned something about the hd model getting nbr first.

Maybe they mean the 811.

Anyway, it could be a smart move - fewer HD receivers are out there, so when NBR scerws up everything under the sun as it's likely to do given E* history, fewer people will be pissed off.

SimpleSimon said:
Maybe they mean the 811.

Anyway, it could be a smart move - fewer HD receivers are out there, so when NBR scerws up everything under the sun as it's likely to do given E* history, fewer people will be pissed off.

NBR on the 811? That makes no sense since the 811 is not a DVR. However, there was some mention in one of the chat that the 942 would be the first. Have to do some digging for this one, but I remember it. There was some talk that tying it to a new receiver could delay roll out on other receivers and one would think a feature like this would be better served rolled out on a stable platform and one that is not green.

My guess is that it is anybodies guess of where we see NBR first and what receivers will finally get it. The 522 is a likely candidate for sure.

How hard can it be to program NBR anyway? It seems like something I could even have done in BASIC on an Apple IIC a million years ago when I was young. The names have got to be in some database or array or something, right? Read the names, compare to a list, record the matches.

On a recent picture I posted here showed the upcoming 942 and one of the features listed was name based recordings. Thats where I think someone saw it and said the HD box would be getting NBR first.

The 942 is based in the 522 software, so the 522 is sure to get NBR and will have it before the 942 is released. :)

Sapient said:
How hard can it be to program NBR anyway? It seems like something I could even have done in BASIC on an Apple IIC a million years ago when I was young. The names have got to be in some database or array or something, right? Read the names, compare to a list, record the matches.

LOL.. Yeah right that simple.. :lol: Boy if I had a nickle for every time an engineer oversimplified a task they were not responsible for I would be a rich man.

I am sure NBR is not as simple as one would think to implement for the following reasons.

1) You are shoe horning this functionality in and existing code base. This is not a ground up design and has to work within the current archetecture.

2) it is by no means as simple as compare to list and record matches. You have do deal with repeats, conflict priorities, live viewing events etc. You are also dealing with a remote as your input device that needs to map well. You also have to deal with GUIDE updates and changes.

3) This is an embedded environement and you usually don't have all the tools that you would have in a enterprised or desktop enviroment.

It may be simple from 1,000 foot level, but my guess is that there is more there than meets the eye. Personall I try not to make trivialize the amount of work someone has to do unless I know the environement hte person is working under, have a good idea of the architecture and code based, and have done the task or a similar task under those conditions before.

For reference, I am working on a Web based UI for an embedded product that certain people within my company thought would be done by Sept 30th. They were shocked by the estimates I gave and more than once I have been told by a low level embeeded software engineer or manager that it should not take that long. These are people with little or no experience actually doing this type of work.

My orginal estimate was the end of November. Due to other issues and external forces, we will not be making this date. I could get into the details why, but I would rather not. I will say that the major reasons for the slip has nothing to do with the engineers.

There are a number of engineers on here with various backgrounds and experiences. Some have worked with companies with good software process and others have worked with ones that don't. I myself have worked in both environments. I am sure we all have opinions about how long implementing NBR shoudl take given reasonable staffing. However, it is my opinion that without actually understanding the details our estimates are majore SWAGS at minimum and are most likely huge underestimates of the effort.

NBR = Name Based Recording

So when you tell it to record all new episodes of Blue Coller TV it will only record new episodes of Blue Coller TV, not the repeats and it dont matter what time its on or if its a 30 min or 60 min show.

TIVO uses Name Based Recording

Scott Greczkowski said:
On a recent picture I posted here showed the upcoming 942 and one of the features listed was name based recordings. Thats where I think someone saw it and said the HD box would be getting NBR first.

The 942 is based in the 522 software, so the 522 is sure to get NBR and will have it before the 942 is released. :)
942 Based on 522 that means it won't be out for quite some time. 522 is 1 year old this month and DISH is just asking for help debugging the problems. See Scotts sticky this forum. :D :D :D

The easiest and maybe the best way that Dish Network could get NBR for there PVRs would be to sign a deal with Tivo to have them port there PVR software onto the Dish Network PVR that way we may actually get a PVR with NBR that works and is stable. But that would cost Dish Network lots of money I am sure so it will never happen but I can dream of a Dish Network 522 Tivo.

The easier way would be for them to BUY TIVO, since they are having problems. :)

Charlie should have purchased Replay when they were for sale.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Where did you hear that the HD model will get NBR first? I have always heard that the 522 will be the first to get it, and should hopefully be getting it before the end of the year.

Actually I think it was said in a tech chat a while back. Here is a link discussing it. I think Gary confirmed it. Might have been a slip of tongue, but it was stated 942 first. I agree it makes no sense and the 522 will most likely be the first.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=24887&page=2&pp=15&highlight=942+NBR

customhank said:
The easier way would be for them to BUY TIVO, since they are having problems. :)

Charlie should have purchased Replay when they were for sale.

I have said it for at least 2 years that Dish should buy tivo software and make their customers happy. But Charlie is to cheap to do this. When Directv goes with the new non Tivo dvr, then Tivo could be bought for a song, since they will lack any new business partners. But Charlie passed on Replay as well so I guess he will pass on this too. Imagine a 921 dvr powered by Tivo .

That would be so sweeeeeeeeeeet. :cool:

With Tivo's new deals to force-feed advertising to those trying to skip commercials, I'd say it's a good thing E* will never buy Tivo, despite the lack of NBR. Hey, when we tell a E* DVR to skip commercials, it really DOES skip them. (And yes, I'm surprised I'm actually saying something nice about the 522, in spite of all its bugs...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts