522 question

drock85

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Hi,
Currently I have a 522 that I leased from dish network. I paid 199 for the receiver and install. And now I pay 5 bucks a month extra for leasing it. I was just wondering if dish would let me buy the 522 from them so I wouldn't have to pay the lease fee. Or do I have to send it back and buy one off the internet?

drock85 said:
Hi,
Currently I have a 522 that I leased from dish network. I paid 199 for the receiver and install. And now I pay 5 bucks a month extra for leasing it. I was just wondering if dish would let me buy the 522 from them so I wouldn't have to pay the lease fee. Or do I have to send it back and buy one off the internet?

First, no, they wouldn't. Second, if you owned it, you would pay a $5/month additional receiver charge instead of the lease fee. There is NO advantage to owning over leasing.

They would charge me an additional receiver fee even though I only have one receiver?

drock85 said:
They would charge me an additional receiver fee even though I only have one receiver?

Ah. Well then the lease fee for your first receiver is already included in the package price. If you have locals, the price would not change. Under the lease plan, the $5 lease fee is included in the package price and local channels are free. So if you owned it, you wouldn't pay the lease fee but local channels wouldn't be free; they'd be $5/month.

Here's what I'm currently paying now for my one 522 receiver and the top 120 channels with local

AMERICA'S TOP 120 WITH LOCALS 42.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 4.98
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 5.0

Are you saying I should be getting the locals for free?

And after 1 year, if it dies, it is your baby. With the lease, you can have it replaced regardless of how/why/when it eventually dies.

#3 and counting... ;)

drock85 said:
Here's what I'm currently paying now for my one 522 receiver and the top 120 channels with local

AMERICA'S TOP 120 WITH LOCALS 42.99
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 5.0

Are you saying I should be getting the locals for free?

Alright, I guess you're not under DHA. You paid the upgrade fee so I guess that is different.

I upgraded my receiver just a couple months ago with a dish n' it up deal. But thanks for the information anyhow. I'm probably going to get HD whenever they switch over to MPEG4 so I guess I'll stick with the lease fee for now. Just wanted to see if I could save some few bucks.

drock85, I purchased my 522 outright (to replace a single tuner 301). Altho the 522 has two tuners, it counts as one receiver -- so no additional charge there. However, I still have to pay the $4.98 monthly DVR fee.

So, looking at the numbers you gave earlier, you would save $5/month if you owned rather than rented. But, depending on the terms of the upgrade you got a few months ago, there might be a penalty to break the lease.

birddoggy said:
is the 522 plugged into a phone line?

birddoggy, is that question for me or drock85?

My 522 is plugged in. If not, then I think it would be an additional $5/month for me. ($9.98/month total)

I lease....these are my charges:
DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE WITH AMERICA'S TOP 120/LOCALS 42.99

That's all (or enough...depending on your point of view)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts