522 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CygnusTM

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I just had a Dish 500, a 501 and 2 301s installed on Nov 1 with DHP. The 522 looks really attractive to me, but I have some questions.

First, when they eventually offer it as an upgrade, will I be able to upgrade, which I assume will require a commitment, or will I have to wait for my current 1-year commitment to run out before I can make another one?

Second, if I can get one, I want to replace the 501 and one of the 301s with the 522. Currently I have 3 lines from the dish running to a central place in my basement where they are coupled to single lines running from there to each of the TVs. Since the 522 requires two satellite inputs and also need to be connected to the second TV, does that mean I will need to run two more lines (for a total of 3) to my main TV?

Third, the spec sheet I have for the 522 shows two modes of operation: single mode, with one TV where it mentions picture-in-picture, and dual mode, with two TVs viewing/recording different programs. If I use the dual mode will I be able to use PIP as long as the other TV connected to the 522 isn't in use?

Finally, I am assuming that in dual mode programs recorded on either tuner will be available for playback on either TV. Is this correct?

CygnusTM said:
First, when they eventually offer it as an upgrade, will I be able to upgrade, which I assume will require a commitment, or will I have to wait for my current 1-year commitment to run out before I can make another one?
Put fresh batteries in your crystal ball and gaze into it while chanting "Dish... Dish..." repeatedly is the only way you'll get an answer on that one.

Currently I have 3 lines from the dish running to a central place in my basement where they are coupled to single lines running from there to each of the TVs. Since the 522 requires two satellite inputs and also need to be connected to the second TV, does that mean I will need to run two more lines (for a total of 3) to my main TV?
Yes. Two RG6 for the dish connections feeding the two sat inputs on the 522, and one for "TV out" from the TV2 RF jack on the back of the 522 out to your 2nd TV (or more TVs using a splitter). Eventually, the DishPro system will evolve to the point that there would only need to be one cable from the Dish and there will be a 'special splitter' that would turn this single run into the two required by the receiver.

Third, the spec sheet I have for the 522 shows two modes of operation: single mode, with one TV where it mentions picture-in-picture, and dual mode, with two TVs viewing/recording different programs. If I use the dual mode will I be able to use PIP as long as the other TV connected to the 522 isn't in use?
Nobody knows on this one since we haven't had one to play with or look at the manual. I recall a post saying that the "Power" button on the TV2 remote would power off the modulator for TV2 (an not the whole 522!) so maybe, just maybe, the PIP would work if the 2nd TV was not in use.

Finally, I am assuming that in dual mode programs recorded on either tuner will be available for playback on either TV. Is this correct?

This is another "wait and see" as we have no clue as to the setup screens within the 522. I could envision designing the software so as to give the user the choice to allow or deny such a function via a setup screen, but who knows what we will get. If it doesn't work like that then I'd say someone really made a major design goof. Of course, there needs to be protections so that little Timmy (via his TV2) can't watch certain channels or even list the recordings that mommy and/or daddy have made on the TV1 in the den.

Since I'm involved in designing, writing and testing software that has to work and work well I'm somewhat curious of how the 522 will handle some of these kinds of issues.

As you can see, that crystal ball eats batteries like a kid eats candy when you're using it to get answers on upcoming Dish products.

CygnusTM said:

This should be true since no matter which tuner a recorded program comes from it goes to the same hard drive and when one watches a previously recorded program you are not using the tuners.

After seeing Dish not give any discounts or offers on the 721 for existing customers I wonder if they will give a discount or offer on the 522? Since it is a cheaper receiver than what the 721 is only be $50 more then I think there is a greater chance that they will.

video62 said:
Put fresh batteries in your crystal ball and gaze into it while chanting "Dish... Dish..." repeatedly is the only way you'll get an answer on that one.

As you can see, that crystal ball eats batteries like a kid eats candy when you're using it to get answers on upcoming Dish products.
What? You guys aren't clairvoyant? I want my money back! What do you mean, "What money?" :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts