522 Reception Problem

bbescuela

Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
We received our new 522 which is replacing two older receivers. Echostar activated it today. We have a Dish 300 and a Dish 500 which are connected through two DP21 (labeled "SW21-3SAT" in the test switch function) switches. When I set up the 522, I get a good satellite signal through Sat 1 input and a poor/intermittent signal through Sat 2. Mostly there is no signal. If I switch the inputs (move the coax from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1) I get the same result (i.e., Sat 2 is STILL poor/intermittent). I should note that the signal was good on both old receivers.

I unplugged the 522 and plugged back in 10 minutes later and was able to get a signal strength of about 65 on Sat 2. Sat 1 was about 95. When I turned the 522 off and on again, I lost Sat 2 signal entirely.

Can someone help me fix this problem?

Yes. We have a 300 Dish antenna and a 500 Dish antenna. The feeds are combined (through the switches) and fed to the 522 through two coax cables. The two cables go to the Sat 1 and Sat 2 inputs.

I think maybe you need to inventory your outdoor gear a bit more. LNB types are important - "Dish 500" and "Dish 300" are almost meaningless terms.

You say you have DP21's but it's showing SW21 3-SAT - which is what I see with my Legacy Twin, Legacy Dual, and pair of SW21's. Something ain't right here.

I apologize for being dumb, but I am new to all this stuff. I went outside and checked my switches, they are in fact SW21. (Sorry for wasting people's time with incorrect info.) Still having the problem, though. Any suggestions?

OK. Now that we're on the right track, I can guess that your "Sat 2" is a "wing" of either 61.5 or 148.

Tell us which one and where you are so that we can consider whether aim and/or line of sight might be the issue.

Other than that, and the biggest generic advice for ALL signal problems is to check your connectors. Moisture, corrosion, etc. can all be an issue.

The "Point Dish" screen shows a signal for 148 on Sat 1 input (along with 119 and 110). The check switch ("Installation Summary" screen) shows Port1 is 119, Port2 is 110, and Port3 is 148. I'm guessing that's it.

I have checked the connectors and they seem fine. The strange thing is that everything worked fine with our old setup (a 4700 and a 2700) and it doesn't matter which cable is connected to the Sat 2 input on the 522. The "Point Dish" screen looks the same (no sat signal for Tuner Input 2) regardless of which of the two cables is connected to which input.

I appreciate the help.

Why don't you call DISH, Your description imlies that tuner 2 on you 522 is not working they neet to send you a replacement.

Well, I was afraid that was the answer, but I was hoping it was just something I hadn't set up right.

Thanks for all the help.

I spoke to the guy I purchased the 522 from. He claims that the 522 won't function correctly with two SW 21 switches. He says that I need a single SW 64 switch. Does this sound correct? Could I check the unit by taking one of the dishes out of the equation, that is bypass the switches and just run the cables from one of the LNBs to my 522?

Thanks again.

You could try that if you want, I am feeding my 522 using sw21's so I know it works.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I've sent the 522 back and am awaiting a replacement. (Made sure the ebay seller offered a guarantee before purchasing.)

I'm surprised. I didn't think E* would activate a 522 that was bought, I thought they were available to lease only.

The official company line from customer service is only leasing to new customers. But it's a little like the Wizard of Oz. If you ask the Wizard (ceo@dishnetwork.com) nicely he might bestow activation of a 522 on you, the existing customer. I don't know how they make the decision. We've been good customers for 6 years, I assume that has something to do with it. You can see a lot of postings on the subject in this forum. Supposedly they will start leasing to existing customers soon, but they won't say when. I have heard it's sometime this month, next month or even this year.

I saw a 522 among other DVRs on display at Radio Shack. I thought this meant they were now selling them. I would never buy one since they have so many problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts