522 Single Mode Instructions

Any setting changes

On single mode I hit record to start taping a show then tried to switch channels. It told me that I have to cancel the recording to switch channels?

What am I doing wrong do I need to change settings?

I also hit swap and PIP and nothing happens.

Thanks

PIP should work in single mode but you cannot tape and watch another show in single mode AFAIK....and I don't know a lot.:)

AFAIK (with my 1 week+ 522 experience), in Single mode, you can PIP, and you can also record one show while watching another. You can also record 2 shows and watch a third which you had previously recorded (tested this out briefly -- same functionality as my digital cable DVR that I just gave up).

What I don't know is if you can PIP, as well as do one of the above recording scenarios simultaneously -- just haven't tried it yet. I have my 522 on a 25" TV in the bedroom, so not much call for PIP anyway.

In dual mode, you give up PIP capability, and also the record one/watch another capability, but you gain 2 fully-independent tuners/DVRs.

Personally, since I have my "TV2" routed to my office, and also have it diplexed into my family room TV, I have decided to use it so far in Single mode, with Shared View enabled most of the time, so I can record one and watch another on the bedroom or office TVs. I find myself occasionally switching to Dual mode when we really want to watch 2 different things simultaneously, but always seem to gravitate back to Single mode for the recording flexibility.

Gary

I am not completely clear.

Does single mode mean I can have my 522s act like my old 501s, just with more storage space and an extra tuner? Will the favorites apply to both? Will the timers pick both tuners as needed? Can I watch one channel while it is recording?

When I switch to single mode, do I keep ALL my events?

I am going to try and switch to this mode this holiday weekend and see if it works. If so, that would be much better than my current 4 channel setup. :)

Brad

andrews777 said:
I am not completely clear.

Does single mode mean I can have my 522s act like my old 501s, just with more storage space and an extra tuner? Will the favorites apply to both? Will the timers pick both tuners as needed? Can I watch one channel while it is recording?

When I switch to single mode, do I keep ALL my events?

I am going to try and switch to this mode this holiday weekend and see if it works. If so, that would be much better than my current 4 channel setup. :)

Brad
I believe the answer to all of the above is 'yes'. :)
The only one that may be questionable is the timers picking appropriate tuners, but that just seems to be somewhat buggy in either mode. As for myself, I can't recall ever running into such a problem though.

can u do the multiple record function with one feed

it says in this guide u can record 2 programs while watching a 3rd. is that possible iwth one feed or is everything base don 2 feeds

sindhiguy said:
it says in this guide u can record 2 programs while watching a 3rd. is that possible iwth one feed or is everything base don 2 feeds
First let's be clear: Even in cases where you CAN record 2 programs, you can watch another one ONLY from the DVR (or possibly OTA). Recording 2 programs would tie up both 522 inputs.

If I read this literally, then no, you can't do that with just one FEED to a 522 (unless that feed is from a DPP44 or DPP Twin LNB, AND it's split into two by a DPP Separator). A 522 will still work with only one feed, but it will be seriously impaired; you'll probably have to run a lengthy Check Switch on it every day. (I know; I had a short experience with this when a thief cut one of my 522 leads. The hassle was so much that I had to repair it quickly.) That one feed can only do one thing: either show live TV, or record a single program.

Considering this thread is about single mode, it's possible you said "one feed" meaning "single mode". Single mode doesn't affect that particular functionality; you can still record two shows while playing a third off the HDD. However, single mode STILL requires two satellite feeds; it essentially makes the 522 into a 721, but with two identical TV outputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)