522 UHF remotes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
I'm getting a 522 receiver next tuesday. I would like both remotes to be able to do UHF.

I have a friend that has a 522 and does really need the Remote #2. Is there any way I can get a remote #2 switched to do UHF for Tuner #1 on the 522 receiver.

I was at his house, and I changed the remote code of Remote #2 to the remote addess of Tuner #1, then enabled the UHF remote in the receiver and then switched the Key at the bottom of the remote #2 to #1 and The receiver would NOT recognize the UHF signal from the remote.

Is their a special key for the bottom of the remote for enabling Tuner #1's UHF mode?

Basically I want to know how to change an extra remote to be able to control Tuner #1 as a UHF remote.

Thanks,
John

hmm, I swear I remember reading that only remote 2 is uhf only and remote 1 is IR only. Let me check the specs again.

Guess I was wrong: From the product brochure.

REMOTE CONTROLS
• One Infrared (IR) 4-component universal remote
control – controls “TV1”; can be programmed to
operate (via IR) up to three additional components,
such as TVs, VCRs and DVD players.
• One Universal UHF Pro/IR configurable 4-component
universal remote control - controls “TV2” (second TV
location) when configured for UHF Pro (blue key); can
control “TV1” if configured for IR (green key).
• Universal UHF Pro 4-component remote control:
• Controls the satellite receiver through walls and
other obstructions.
• Unobstructed UHF Pro operating range of up to
200’.
• Can be programmed to operate (via IR) up to three
additional components such as TVs, VCRs and
DVD players.
• DVR buttons: skip forward, skip back, stop, play,
pause, forward, back, record.
• Picture-In-Picture (PIP) functions to display, move or
swap the PIP image
• Dedicated “TV Power” button.
• “Recover” button toggles through TV inputs to assist
user in returning to satellite programming.
©2004 Echostar Satellite L.L.C. All Rights Reserved

But it sounds like you switched it from Blue to Green Key already. But it also may be that Tuner 1 is IR blast only and does not have a UHF receiver for it.

Once you switch that key on remote #2 from Blue(TV2) to Green(TV1), you are disabling the UHF transmitter in the remote. It will send IR only. You must leave it keyed to Blue (TV2) to use it as a UHF remote. You can still set it to the same address as TV1.

It sounds familiar that it is possible to control the 522's TV1 through UHF, but I don't remember how - and I've never tried it. I'll try it out in when I get home and make another post if I have any luck. I know the TV2 remote will control TV1 when in Single Mode with Shared View enabled, but I don't think that's what you want.

Ok, I tried - but couldn't get it to work at all. I enabled UHF Pro for TV1 but couldn't get the TV2 remote to control it. Sorry, I must be mistaken about something.

Make sure the TV2 UHF remote you are planning to use to control TV1 is set to the same address as the TV1 IR remote.

OK, start over. Take the original remote for tv1 and press menu-6-1-8 (or maybe menu-6-8 i can't remember at the moment) to get to the "enable uhf remote" part of the menu. select "enable uhf remote" then go right to system info and press select. arrow up in system info to highlight tv1 primary remote. then take your new uhf remote for tv1, make sure the key in the bottom is flipped to the blue #2 side. on the uhf remote press and hold the sat button at top untill all the mode lights light up. press a number that does not conflict with the tv2 uhf remote. then press #, the sat button should flash 3 times, then press the record button. that should change the address on the tv1 remote to uhf pro and now you can change channels while sitting on the remote!

522 UHF for tv1

Hi. I'm ATR for dish, and it is possible to have a tv1 remote that is uhf and control both tv1 and 2 at same time so you can have a rcvr in a basement, closet, etc. If you press menu, go to sys setup, then installation, their will be an option to select tv1 uhf pro setup. Now it is true that the tv1 remote does not come uhf, but if you have a separate tv2 remote that a friend doesn't need, here's the deal.. Take off the battery lid, then flip the key at the bottom that is blue.. once it's out, you'll see the other side is green with a #1 and says UHF.. put it back on with the number 1 at the top.. select tv1 uhf pro setup enable in that menu screen, then select sys info on the right side.. use the addt'l uhf remote to press the up arrow until the tv1 remote address # box is highlighted in orange, readdress it and after you press record to log the address, it should read ir/uhf pro beside.. just make sure you address it to something other than tv2's #.. believe me, i've had some calls that killed me from trying to help a customer get it off that.. Anyway, hope this helps.

AJ

AJ,

Is there any way to control TV2 via IR? I'm setting up a whole home audio system and would like to be able to allow the customer to listen to satellite music from either TV1 or TV2. Ideally they would be able to push either SAT1 or SAT2 on the keypad and be able to change channels up and down. The whole home music controller (SpeakerCraft MZC66) supports IR commands only.

Thanks,
Doug

As far as I know TV2 can only be controlled by the UHF remote. You can set TV1 to also be controlled by a UHF remote but I don't think TV2 can be set to an IR remote. Also, you can't control TV2 through the front panel, a serious design flaw IMO.

I agree with you there maximum. All they would have to do is add another button for tuner 2 in order for those buttons to only do functions for the second tuner.

dstke said:
AJ,

Is there any way to control TV2 via IR? I'm setting up a whole home audio system and would like to be able to allow the customer to listen to satellite music from either TV1 or TV2. Ideally they would be able to push either SAT1 or SAT2 on the keypad and be able to change channels up and down. The whole home music controller (SpeakerCraft MZC66) supports IR commands only.

Thanks,
Doug

I've complained about this also because I have the same problem; I need to be able to control TV2 using my Niles music system . There are other situations where you need to control both tuners using IR, mostly in high-end installations . It makes no sense (of course) and Dish will be losing out on just the kinds of customers that they love to have; those with high-end systems who also tend to subscribe to their high-end programming packages.

AJF,

I decided to allow the user to select TV2 on the keypad but they will have to use the UHF remote to change stations.

But it would be so much easier if they just enabled TV2 to be controlled by IR so the keypads could control it, right ? What if someone wanted to replace the Dish remote with a programmable remote ? Dish makes no sense sometimes .

TV2 is usually located in a different room from the 522/322 therefor UHF is the option used so that the remote will work from the TV2 location. That said, yes they should do an uprade to the software to allow IR for TV2 just like they added UHF for TV1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)