522 vs 721 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gen. Electric

Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I wanted to replace my 311 receiver with either a 522 or 721 but I have a question. On the 522, I was thinking about putting TV1 on my Hitachi source1 and 522 TV2 on my same Hitachi source 3. I could do my TV's picture in picture and swap back and forth depending on recording or live. My question is that the 722 does not have a second TV out to do what I described but it has two tuners like the 522, so "How do you view one live program while recording another"? Picture in picture? Is it just a little window or is it swappable to full picture? I' m trying to decide between the 721 and 522. Also, I forgot to add that I have another (second) sat line for the second tuner on either receiver. I also checked with Dish Network on activation of either the 522 or 721 and they said I would have no problem activating either one. My concern is that I'm not a new customer but a loyal long time customer and have heard that 522's will only be activated for new customers. Even though Dish said activation would be no problem, I have had two different answers from dish before.

Well I don't have a 721 but do have 522. But I might have an answer for you..

The 522 can be hooked up like you describe and you can use the TV's PIP to swap out between the TV1 and TV2 feeds. But the 522 has 2 separate modes-single and dual mode. In the scenario you described it is in dual mode. If you have the TV2 output going to another TV it would probably be set in dual mode. But the 522 in single mode can do the same thing without having the TV2 output connected. It uses it's own PIP in single mode as opposed to using the TV's PIP.

The 721 if I understand it correctly acts like a 522 in single mode. It also uses it's receivers PIP as opposed to the TV's PIP.

Using the 522 in single mode ( and I assume using the 721 is the same ) is just like using your TV's PIP to toggle between video inputs. You can bring up the PIP window..move it's location on the screen..and swap the pictures out. Your just using the receivers PIP capabilities instead of your tv's.

If I'm not explaining it well maybe this will be clearer...if instead of your cool Hitachi with built in PIP you had an old 13 inch black and white made in 1975- with a 522 in single mode or a 721 hooked to it you could still get PIP since it's done through the receiver.

As far as which is better to use-the PIP functions work just like your TV's as far as i can tell.
If you got a 522 you might want to have it in single mode because then ALL of your PIP functions would be on the 522 remote. One thing I couldn't get my 522 remote to operate is the TV's PIP features. But that wouldn't be needed if the 522 was in single mode.

As far as the 522 vs 721- well like I said I only can speak for the 522 and I've had it for about six weeks. This is my first DVR and I like it alot. I haven't had as many problems as some in this forum have reported but do get the occaisional sound dropout or picture pixellation but nothing major. Hope the new software coming out will fix all the problems soon but even so I still like the 522 alot-but have nothing to compare it to.. Someone else will have to chime in about the 721-it may have a more stable software and if you don't need the TV2 output than it may be a better choice.

If you decide on the 522 if you can get it you can probably get it activated :D
Some longtime customers have reported after emailing the ceo and complaining that they were issued 522's. I think the email is ceo@dishnetwork.com -edited to reflect correct email noted in next post

Anyway hope I didn't ramble on too long and made some sense

:p

522 Activation

They should activate your 522.
They did mine and I am a long time Dish customer also.
If you have problems with customer support,
email:
ceo@dishnetwork.com
and some one from the excutive offices will call you
in a day or two.
They seem to be able to get things done customer
service either can't or won't.

If you don't have the need for 2 seperate outputs, get the 721. It would be cheaper, it has no VoD fee, and it does not have to be connected to the phone line to save on the 2nd tuner fee. Also, the 721 is more stable than the 522 in many ways. You might only loose 10 hours, but you will save at least $4.98/month since it has no VoD fee. Plus, the 721 has inputs on the front for using a game system or running a video camera through(however, you cannot reocord from the input).

You mean they charge two receiver fees for a 721, even though its one receiver?(ie:eek:ne TV) How does not plugging the phone line in stop the second receiver fee?

I agree with Larry, my 721 is very stable and is good as the primary receiver. Very fast guide and instant weather are a plus. There is only 1 receiver fee on the 721 even if not connected to phone line. The 522 has double fees if not plugged into phone line - plus VoD fee if you don't have AEP. How does the phone line stop the second receiver fee? Dish apparently tells the receiver to call in periodically, if it doesn't they slap you with a gratuitous fee for their effort. I can only speculate on why they do that. To me, the 2nd outlet isn't worth it - I'd rather have a 2nd receiver.

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I decided to purchase a rebuilt 721 and give it a try. I asked about software upgrade and was told that the rebuilt one would have the latest upgrade. Also, I saw something about if I had a 721 or 301 that I could trunk another DP34 switch to create more outlets for future receivers. Something about the receivers providing the needed power.(Thats what I understood and not what actually could be correct) Thanks again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)