522 won't record programs.

BrianMis

Original PIT Dweller
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Western PA
I've had my 522 for 3 weeks now, but didn't try to record anything till Wednesday night. I turned on Mythbusters and did a manual recording, the receiver said it was recording, I also set up timers to record Mythbusters (including another episode that same night).

Woke up the next morning and guess what, no programs in the recorded program list and the list still said 100 hours avaliable.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, I had tech support on the phone today but I was having problems with my 811 and forgot to ask them about the 522.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah sometimes when you hit "record - ok" to record the rest of the program or "record - options - #2 or #4" it will not start recording. You have to look for a little box that pops up on the top right that says "rec" or you have to go into the DVR List and make sure the program is being recorded or press cancel on the remote and look for a red ball on the top banner. This is common bug for a long time on the 522.

When this happens, there's only one way to make sure the program records. But it will require more work from you. When you press "record - ok" and it doesn't actually start recording, the only way to get it is to rewind to where you want the recording to start, hit record, then go to options, then pick "stop record manually (#1)." The program will definitely start recording from this point on, but then you have to make sure to come back when the program is scheduled to be over and stop the recording. If you don't come back and stop it, it will go on forever until the disk is full.

Remember, when recording bug starts, just go to "record - options - stop manually." And remember to come back later and stop it.

I don't know why your timer didn't work. That happens with the 522 sometimes. Sorry.

What a P.O.S. Glad I found this when I did. Had to get something to record and it would not.

Well my 522 did it again. I had as always set up for the DVR to record American Idol. Came home tonight and it did not record. No reason why this would have happened. My wife is furious. Called tech support, was on hold for 25 minutes and was told "Well, not quite sure what the issue is. We will get you out a new one." I have 2.35 on the system. I am so fed up. I will give the new one a try and we will see how it goes.

Gawd. If E* took the money they waste on shipping replacement boxes for software issues and actually put it into fixing the problems, EVERYONE would be better off. :mad:

Everybody: Don't forget to try pulling the power-plug to force a "hard" reboot - that cures lots of ills - for a while.

I heard E* is now including a free switched electrical outlet installed with basic 522 installations. Just to make hard reboots easier and save them $$ on shipping out replacements. :D

isn't the issue with american idol that it still is time based recording and not name based? it will record whatever is on fox on tuesday at 7 PM. not every occurence of american idol. since american idol is also on wednesdays wouldn't you also have to set up a timer to record the wednesday edition?

GutBomb said:
isn't the issue with american idol that it still is time based recording and not name based? it will record whatever is on fox on tuesday at 7 PM. not every occurence of american idol. since american idol is also on wednesdays wouldn't you also have to set up a timer to record the wednesday edition?

No GutBomb, the 522 now IS name based for the timers. You can still set timers by day/time/chan. if you really want to. They call that a "manual timer" now.

But when you set up a "Dish Pass" for American Idol for example, it will record every American Idol in the guide for the next eight days. It will of course skip duplicate episodes (it will just record one of the duplicates for you), and it will also skip any episode that's already been recorded onto the hard drive.

With Dish Passes you can also limit the channel you want it to follow for you. For example, I've Dish Passed the new NBC mini-series named Revelations. BUT, since NBC (General Electric) also owns CNBC, USA Network, Bravo Channel, and the Sci-Fi Channel, they are running the same episodes on ALL five channels. Since I don't need to clutter my Daily Schedule or timers with all the skipped duplicates, I've made the Dish Pass to just follow on one of the five channels.

If you set a Dish Pass for American Idol, it will record any instance of the program for you (provide it does not fall into a category I mentioned already...duplicate, etc) that shows up in the guide. If the day changes, start times changes, end time changes, or if they cancel (or ADD) a episode, it will adjust timer for you all on its own.

A few weeks back, totally unknown to me, a program I Dish Pass on ABC named Lost had changed end time from 8:00pm to 8:05pm. I don't know why they made this one episode 5 minutes longer but they did. If this was the old time based days, I would have missed the last 2 minutes of the show (5 minutes extra minus the 3 minutes end-buffer). The Dish Pass caught it and adjusted the end time for me. When it works right, it is a thing of beauty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)