54.0 Remote volume turns on Roku Ultra device

jannah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 27, 2011
Southeastern U.S.
This has happened 3 times and in the last week. I will be watching TV on Dish Hopper3, change the volume on the 54 remote and the Roku app pops up on the screen.

Anyone else encounter this issue ?
I also have a Vizio sound bar connected to the TV and can use the 54 remote to control the volume.
The Roku Ultra has been connected for a about a year and the sound bar for a few months.

Another oddity that has happened on both TV's (Samsung Smart TVs) when watching a program they will go into standby. And, I have to press the SAT button to get back to live TV.
TV 2 has a wired Joey 2.
Happened to me last week on the TV 1 and my husband yesterday on TV 2.
He was watching the news and said the screen suddenly went into standby and a voice going on about getting Dishscape. He didn't know what to do but finally hit the SAT button.
To clarify what I mean by standby, it is the screen saver that comes on if I fall asleep watching TV.
Clear as mud.
Anybody have any ideas why this is happening all the sudden ?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Turn off all CEC options on Roku and TVs. Some TVs have different names, like Samsung Connect, etc. For the remote, do the opposite of this:

Last edited:
It is not unheard of for a remote signal to have unintended consequences on a device.

My TiVo peanut remote switches my Sanyo TV into store display mode if I'm not careful when entering the remote codes. The first remote code listed by the TiVo sets the remote to switch the TV to store display mode when the power button is pressed, then I must try to get it out of that mode and back to normal operation to continue searching for the remote code that turns the TV on and off and adjusts volume/mute.

You might try an alternate remote code and see if you can find one that works and does not exhibit the unwanted behavior.

Stuff like that happens because both devices will share an input frequency and respond to it. For example I've had customers that have heaters, fans, ac units it lights that use I fared remotes and those devices sometimes come on when turning on certain brands of tvs. The only thing you can really do about it is unplug the device you don't want turning on, or get a different brand tv.
Also as suggested you can disable cec on the TV. that wouldn't stop the device from turning on but it would stop it from automatically changing the TV input.