5400 vs 7200 EHD for Hopper 3

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
Haven't seen much, if any, discussion on this specification. I know a lot of the surveillance drives are 5400 but didn't know if there was an advantage in using 7200 EHD's with a Hopper 3?

Understand it's better to use a powered drive so thinking I'll just use a powered enclosure. Saw where some mentioned powering them down when not in use but that's a pain. How does one remotely power a drive up/down? I'm thinking the dreaded "missing EHD" would be worse if powered down when starting the Hopper. Best to leave it powered on all the time, no? That's what surveillance drives are meant for anyway.

Appreciate any feedback, cheers.

I’m a big fan of faster, but it may be overkill using a 7200 rpm drive for an EHD, not to mention hotter and/or noisier. USB 2.0 tops out at 480 Mbps and Dish’s top streams may be around 18-24 Mbps. Playing video back from the EHD shouldn’t be a problem, even a 4K event.

Saw where some mentioned powering them down when not in use but that's a pain. How does one remotely power a drive up/down?
I don't think this is necessary. But you could devote a Smart Switch to that.
I'm thinking the dreaded "missing EHD" would be worse if powered down when starting the Hopper. Best to leave it powered on all the time, no?
I use all WD Green drives which very aggressively spin themselves down when not in use. Yet, they pretend to the host that they're still up, and just spin up again when the receiver wants to put something up or pull something down. Works great. Way less heat and energy and wear and tear.

5400 is preferred for DVR's. Also, the faster the spinning, the more heat generated and more heat is NOT needed for any device if not necessary, and 7200 is not necessary for a DVR. There is no benefit with 7200 for a DVR and it can create problems with a DVR from the greater heat a 7200 generates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)