5ft dish, good for C-Band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

concord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Southern North Carolina
Found someone local selling a bunch of sat stuff (birddog, altanta receivers, decoders, etc) on craigslist. He has two 5ft dishes (doesn't state type nor brand) for 10.00 and thought it may be a cheap way to start playing around on the cband side. Is it big enough? Which is better solid or mesh? Most interested in wild sports feeds....

thx.

Other stuff:
· Channel Master oval dish – Part # 3041221 $10 (36"x27" I think)
· Avcom Spectrum Analyzer PSA 35 $300
· Birddog DW $300
· 2 Scientific Atlanta Receivers Power View Model D9234 w/ remote $75
· Scientific Atlanta BMAC Integrated Receiver/Decoder – 9700 $10
· Scientific Atlanta 7530 Video Receiver $10
· Scientific Atlanta ND BMAC Decoder $10
LNB – California Amplifier Mag 7 HEMT: Low Noise block converter$10
· SAMI – Attenuator Wave Tech Midstate $10
· DX Antenna Satellite Receiver $20
· Sony MSI Piggyback Sony TV $10
· Toshiba DSS Receiver Model #TSR101 $20
· Solid state BK Sweep/Marker Generator Oscilloscope model 415 $10
· Microwave Band Filter 4043 Terrestrial Tracer $10
· Norsat Int’l Inc 4506A KU Band LNB 0312-40904 Depolarizer D12 $20
o Circular polarization LHCP
o Model #ZK-G22N
· Eagle Aspen S2140 LX (3 in 4 out Multiswitch: 40-2050 Mhz $10
· Prodelin Corp Kit .76 M Az/EI Mounting w/ NPMM and Single Pol KU Feed

I say go for it for $10.00
You might be limited with what you can get with a 5 ft dish but it's a start and not alot of money.

is it a solid for $10 it would be a good to play with solids are usually better ( for ku reception) the main thing to think about on dishes is this , usually larger dishes are better at receiving signal and rejecting signals from other sats , so with this 5 fter you should be able to get quite a few c band signals it won't take much to get bleedover from another satellite
ask if he has the mounts for the 5fter's if not you might have to make it a stationard dish & or fab a mount.

but other than that i say go for it $10 bux i spend more than that renting a movie :D

the channelmasters for 10 are good for ku if they have the mounts
the norsat ku lnb is a good price if it works

the 5 footer will probably get the stronger stuff out there but it should work.

If its solid, by all means grab it :)

Last edited:
For $10 bucks , you can't go wrong and any investment to get it going can be used on a bigger dish later if you choose to do so.

Nice find on craigslist........

Hope that none of the dead were SatGuys?

God I hope none were. Its just spooky. Ive been watching it all nite on the local channels (they've been commercial free for 4+ hours now) and pretty much all the major stations in MN (and a couple in Iowa) have been carrying it non-stop.

I gave up on checking for feeds because its local to me. I just tune to the locals to see it.

It's tough when something like that happens anywhere, but when its in your town (on a road you drive, a building etc., its real tough). My heart and prayers go out to anyone who lost someone and for a speedy for those who are hurt.

I hope the death and injury toll is minimal.

Every day is a blessing...

I was watching the Minnesota stations on the FTA tonight. Its amazing the job they do in getting out information.

I hope the death and injury toll is minimal.
hoping so too. There is a lot of cars that travel that section everyday (up to 175K a day) so it was tough to see it tonite on TV

I was watching the Minnesota stations on the FTA tonight. Its amazing the job they do in getting out information.
Yeah. CNN & Fox News have been using the feeds form CBS & NBC tonite along with some Fox. The CBS & Fox here in Minneapolis are owned by the network

I'm kinda worried about going to work tomorrow as a fair amount of people I work with live in Minneapolis

I just read the other thread addressing the bridge collapse...Iceberg, you have a lot of friends who wish you well.

They are doing construction on a bridge near me; traffic has been bad and I have complained about it. No more complaints.

The question on the cause of this collapse will be why the entire bridge (as opposed to a section) failed. But, that is for tomorrow.

It will work with a good lnb and having it tracking well (if motorized). I've got one I've had for 20yrs, on some sats it does ok, on Gal 5, it won't pick up much due to interference from other sats. Right now mine, which is a solid dish, is parked on AMC6 to watch NASA on digital. FYI, Im getting signal quality of 25-30, with a 25degree Cal-Amp lnb. My 10'dish gets signal/quality of 95-100 on almost every c-band digital feed, so there's one comparison report for you. It'll work, but would prob be a headache on a lot of sats (for digital or analog)

Thanks for the information. I sent the guy an email, but haven't heard back... he listed it as 10 for both, but not sure.... Also asked about the mounting hardware and LNB arm...

For that price go for it!

I was very impressed with the video quality on C band using my 1.2m (4') dish. Many religious channels as well as several sports feeds came in very clear.

5' is fine for just playing around, and if that's all you want to do, it'll work. For regular reception, you'll want at least an 8'.

If it's a solid dish, then it'd be absolutely awesome for Ku.

FWIW, I was subbed to 4DTV on a 5' mesh.

It wasn't pleasant, but it worked. For the guide It would DC lock on G1 using the stored position most of the time. It was very seldom that I manually had to 'kick' it.

I started with an analog Starz sub and if I remember the channels were on G9. Most of these were plenty watchable but some were snowy. When they went 100% digital I had just got a smoking deal on a 922 so I gave it a shot. Hey it worked!

I was MUCH happier when I went to a 8' dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)